Fighting For Love

You lean on your elbows against the shiny black hood of Bucky's car, or his dad's car to be precise. Bucky likes to think it's all his but the truth is he and his dad have an agreement that if Bucky keeps on top of the maintenance of it then he can use it whenever he wants so long as his dad doesn't need it.

"Hey Buck," you say lightly, unable to see him but knowing that he's definitely here somewhere judging from the bucket of cleaning supplies plonked by the car.

"Oh hey doll!" he exclaims, suddenly popping up in the drivers seat.

He must've been in the glove box or something.

"What brings you here?" he asks with a smile.

"Just thought I'd pop by and see you," you answer dreamily and find yourself twirling your hair between your fingers.

"Aw that's sweet did you miss me?" he teases.

"Of course I did." You laugh lightly. "So what are you up to today?"

"Just giving the car a polish up," he says as he rubs a cloth over the staring wheel. "Why? What are you doing?"

"Oh nothing." You shrug innocently and bat your eyelashes at him.

"Well I'm nearly done and I'm completely free after this if you wanted to do something?" he asks, falling into your trap.

"Oh yeah that'd be great!" You answer excitedly.

"Yeah? You feeling up for some milkshakes and fries at the diner?" he asks hopefully.

"Sounds perfect." You smile.

"Great, I'll swing by your house in about an hour and pick you up, we can even go cruising. I've just got to get cleaned up first," he explains.

"Awesome, I'll see you soon," you nod and start to walk back down his driveway.

"Bye now." He smiles and waves from where he remains seated.

"Hey (Y/N)!" An all too familiar voice calls just as you reach the gate.

You groan and roll your eyes knowing exactly who it is. Sure enough when you look down the path your ex-boyfriend Dean is walking towards you, picking up the pace when he sees you.

"Hey Dean." You sigh as he approaches.

Out of the corner of your eye you look back to Bucky willingly to see him watching you with a curious frown. You know he's a very protective person and you just hope that those instincts kick in soon.

"So I was wondering if you'd thought about my offer to catch up sometime? Maybe today?" Dean asks you, placing his hand on your arm.

Instantly you pull your arm from his grip uncomfortably.

"Um..." You mumble, trying to think of how to break it to him that your not interested anymore without making it too awkward.

"Oh (Y/N) wait!" Bucky suddenly shouts and you look back gratefully to see him jogging over to you. "I forgot to give you a goodbye kiss doll." He breathes as he comes up and pecks you on the cheek.

"Thank you Bucky." You smile as he wraps his arm around the small of your back.

Trust him. He's never gone out of his way to kiss you goodbye before. You can't help but smirk at the thought as you look back up at Dean. His face says it all with the way his jaw is set and his eyes are squinting in an unapproving way.

"Sorry Dean, but I'm busy this afternoon." You shrug and turn down your lips sarcastically, leaning into Bucky's side.

"Oh I see," he says distastefully as he glares at Bucky. "And what are you guys getting up to?"