Never Let You Go (Part 3)

Today's the big day. Finally, after several months Bucky is coming home.

You and Steve, well mostly you since Steve did get sick, have spent the whole past week planning a whole tonne of fun stuff to do with Bucky during the few short days he said that he is back for.

It was stressful to say the least. But now, miraculously Steve's already all better and everything is perfectly planned out for the next three nights. Every thing is looking up. This week is going to be great with Bucky here, you can feel it. It'll be just like old times.

"Steve! Can you bring me the good candles please." You shout from the dining area.

Steve was at your house to help you set up dinner for you three.

"Got 'em right here (Y/N)." He states as he pops up from behind the cupboards.

Even he was in a happier mood then you'd seen him in a long time tonight. It's because you're both so excited. Normally Bucky got to come home once a month as mandatory rest and recoup for the soldiers, but this time it had been a good two nearly three months since you had gotten a chance to see him and you both missed his witty humour and good fun like hell.

It's 5pm. You have to be at the station to collect him at 6pm and that's about a twenty minute walk. You just hope that he's not injured like last time because that was one heck of a struggle of a walk home.

You and Steve put the finishing touches to the table and bring the meat off the boil before getting ready to head out.

Winter is coming and it is a little colder out so you slip on your thick woolen coat over your dress and head back out of your room to meet Steve.

"Ready?" You huff as you smooth out your skirt.

"Ready." He nods and lifts an arm for you to slip yours into.

You gladly do so and step outside, breathing in the brisk evening air.

"Oh rats! Looks like it's gonna rain." Steve complains. "Should we take a brollie?"

"No it won't." You shake your head in denial. "Nothing can ruin this night."

The two of you make your way down the street and to the train station. Like usual their is a gathering of people at the platform all waiting to see there men. Friends, family, partners. Talk of some of the soldiers returning spreads quickly around the town and everyone wants to welcome them back.

Not wanting to get caught up in the hustle and bustle you and Steve situate yourselves off to the side and towards the back. There is no point in fighting your way through the crowd. You'll never find Bucky nor be able to have a decent conversation with him in amongst all that anyway so you might as well wait.

Finally the train pulls up and the crowd erupts into cheers. There's screaming and whistling, people waving their hats in the air. Your heart swells at the amount of pride Brooklyn has for these boys and the fact that one of them you can call your very own. They haven't even gone to war yet and already they are being viewed as hero's.

There are soldiers hanging out the windows beaming, waving, pointing, calling out when they spot a loved one. You can't see Bucky. That's not unusual though.

The wheels of the old steamer screech to a halt and one by one the men start piling out. Some running and leaping off the steps to run into someone's arms, some simply walking off and heading home all alone. Others being bombarded while they are still on the train.

And then finally there he is. Carefully stepping down onto the brick platform, suitcase in hand, hat tipped down so that you can't see his face properly but you would recognise him anywhere.