The Howlies (Epilogue)

"James come back here please!" you call out amusedly as your son toddles off up the hill ahead of you through the long grass.

You watch as he spins around on his heel and clumsily comes running back down to you, the grass nearly taller than him. He giggles as he extends his hands to you and leaps into your arms. You can't help but smile and laugh along at his blissful, innocent happiness as you lift him above your head and spin him round, the slight breeze messing up his fine, blond hair.

He's two and a half now and brings you so much joy that you can't even begin to explain it. After Bucky's accident it was no secret that you were in a bad place, especially once everyone found out and they sent you home. To be honest that made it worse, it was like it made it official. You were done with the war - not that that was a bad thing - and you would never see Bucky again. That was when it really went home. The only reason you agreed to go along with it was because you knew that's what Bucky wanted for you.

But once your son was born everything changed. You felt a love and connection to him so strong, one you'd only felt with one other person in your life and that's when you knew exactly what to call him.

All your worries and sadness slipped away. You had a fresh start, a clean slate. And that's exactly what you used. Bucky would've wanted you to live your life to the fullest. Sure, you wanted him to be there beside you but there was no way that could happen.

Now days you've moved to New York, you have your own house, you work in a local hospital specialising in helping soldiers returning with rehab and recoup and even with psychological problems that they have developed. You're very good at what you do because you experienced what they've been through first hand yourself.

You met another man who reminds you of Bucky with a similar sense of that charming humour and you couldn't be any happier with your little family. He's good with James and looks after him as if he is his own.

Sure, you have your down days every once in a while and wish that Bucky could be there right now, seeing you succeed. Perhaps you two could even be married by now. But then you also know that you've been gifted with what you've got and it's not all bad. Sure, it'll never be Bucky but it's still pretty darn great.

You've kept in contact with all the other Howlies and you're all good friends except for Steve who tragically died in a plane crash while saving the world - it probably isn't so bad that Bucky wasn't around to see that, you don't know how he would have coped.