Wrong Way Around

"Hey (Y/N) are you feeling alright?" One of your fellow waitresses asks you as you pick up your next lot of orders.

"Huh? Uh, not really." You crease your brow in concentration over trying to ignore your pounding headache.

"Yeah, you don't look it." She remarks. "Why don't you clock off for the rest of the day? Go home and get rested up."

"You sure?" You ask.

"Yeah, I got you covered. And it's probably not the best having sickness around the customers food." She shrugs.

"You're right, thanks Harriet. I'll see you tomorrow hopefully." You sigh as you whip your apron off.

The truth is you aren't going to fight her like you normally would. Today you feel absolutely terrible. You didn't feel right when you first woke up and it seems to have gotten progressively worse throughout the day. By now your whole mouth is dry and its hard to swallow, you have a pounding headache and it's like your body can't decide whether it's boiling hot or freezing cold.

On your way out you pick two sandwiches out of the cabinet to take for your roommates Steve and Bucky. You'll pass by Bucky's work on the way home like you always do in your lunch break to drop it off to him and you'll leave Steve's in the fridge for him to eat when he gets home from doing whatever he's doing.

Walking home proves a harder feat than normal for some reason. It seems to take forever and every step aches. But as you walk into Bucky's worksite you put on a brave face, not wanting him to worry.

"Hey Buck! I've got you lunch!" You beam and hold up the brown paper bag in front of him as he shovels one last spade of dirt into a wheelbarrow.

"Aw doll, you didn't need to do that!" He exclaims as he leans against the shovel and wipes the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand.

"No it's okay. The least I can do when you're puttin' in all this hard work to pay our rent." You insist and clear your throat at the end when it turns hoarse.

Plus you just love any excuse to see Bucky. But you would never tell him that.

"Hey are you feeling okay?" He suddenly frowns in concern when he gets a better look at you.

"Not really." You sigh. "Why?"

"Because you look awfully pale and you sound all clogged up there doll." He says as he drops his shovel and walks over to you, lifting your chin to examine you closer. "You thought of leavin' work early and headin' home to look after yourself? I think you look like you need to do that."

"I'm actually on my way home now. Harriet gave me the afternoon off." You sigh tiredly.

"Good girl. Now you go home and get rested. Don't wanna be catchin' a flu now do we? I'll be home in a few hours to look after you." He smiles sweetly.

You nod and he leads you to the work sight gate.

"Thank you, bye Bucky. See you tonight." You sigh.

"Bye now doll. Feel better." He waves.

You smile as you begin to walk off. Home is just a ten minute walk from there but by the time you get there you feel so dizzy and disorientated that all you can do once you get inside is collapse onto the couch and fall asleep.

You don't even have time to make yourself some lunch, not that you are hungry anyway. You don't even manage to take off your shoes or make it to your own bedroom.

The next thing you know, you are being woken up by someone gently shaking your shoulder.

"(Y/N)?" They whisper. "Wake up doll."