Give Me A Try (Part 3)

After an absolutely terrible nights sleep you trudge your way to school. All night you couldn't stop thinking about Bucky. You feel so awful about what you said to him. He looked so upset. All he had been doing was trying. He meant well.

You feel like a terrible person. He had been putting in so much effort and you've done nothing in return but throw it all back in his face. You don't know what you were thinking. Last night you were just so confused and a little scared thinking about what you could get yourself into with him, and then he just took you by surprise when he showed up and it all came tumbling out.

You tell yourself that next time you see him you will make it up to him.

Suddenly as you are walking along the road it starts to rain.

"Oh for Christ's sake!" You mumble to yourself.

Could this day actually get any worse? You don't have an umbrella or even a jacket. What were you thinking when you left the house? You were just too distracted by your thoughts.

Oh well. Karma I guess. You think to yourself.

Then out of no where a cyclist comes right past you and splashes water up on you as they go through a puddle.

Correction. Yes. It could get worse.

"Hey!" You exclaim.

The man who's face you can't see stops just a little ahead and turns to look at you. Just as you are about to yell profanities at them you stop because you see who it is.

It's him. A half hearted, close lipped grin addressing you from under his umbrella. His smile looks cunning like he knew what he was up to but his eyes still have that hurt look that appeared in them last night.

"Oh." You mutter as you come closer to him. "I guess I kinda deserved that huh?"

"Yeah." He sighs as you stand in front of him. "Here. Come under before you get any more wet."

"Thanks." You smile sheepishly and step under his umbrella.

He hops off his bike and slowly walks it along while he holds the umbrella up over the two of you. It's a very awkward silence for a few minutes until you can't stand it anymore so you break it.

"Listen Bucky, I've been thinking." You start.

"That's funny, so have I." He says flatly.

There's no humour in his voice like there normally is.

You sigh before continuing.

"I'm really sorry about last night. You've done nothing wrong. I was just confused and then I took it out on you. I'm sorry, I was wrong. You're a really nice guy Bucky. And I hope I didn't just ruin any kind of relationship we had." You explain sadly.

He looks at you critically for a few seconds and you feel like he's judging you.

"Say something?" You squeak.

"Well like I said I was thinking too. And I realised that you were right. I can't just hide behind gifts all the time. I'm sorry, I'm just new to this whole long term thing. But I also realised that it has to be a two way street. Which is why I have this for you." He says dully as he pulls a note out of his pocket.

You look up at him confused as he hands it to you.

"I have to get going now. You keep the umbrella." He sighs and hands it to you before hopping on the bike and taking off without giving you a chance to say anything.

You look down at the slightly wet piece of paper in your hand ad open it slowly, careful not to rip or smudge it.

If you still want to give me a try then meet me in person at the top of the hill in the park at 5pm tonight. Wear something pretty.