Did You Mean What You Said?

You sit at the picnic table with your friends enjoying the sunny, summer afternoon. The last one you will all get to spend together in a long time. One of your best friends Bucky is leaving for army training tomorrow.

It's no secret that you have a crush on him. Whether he returns the feelings or not, you have no clue. There are times when you feel like it is just you two in the world or when he seems to be particularly gracious specifically to you and you think maybe he does like you back. But then he goes and does similar things for everyone else too and you slap yourself realising that it's just his nature to be a kind person to everyone he meets.

You sit across from him and your other best friend Steve. The three of you just want to spend this afternoon together reminiscing, having fun and making the most of the little time you have left together.

"Saw that Billy guy eyeing you up the other night aye (Y/N/N)? You talked to him recently?" Steve asks you, leaning across the table to give your elbow a nudge.

"Oh please. If I ever get a boyfriend." You roll your eyes.

"Doll, any guy would be lucky to get a girl like you." Bucky sighs.

"Yeah, any guy like you aye Buck?" Steve smirks and nudges him too.

Bucky shoves him back, his cheeks turning a little pink.

"I know I would be. I'd be the luckiest man alive to be with (Y/N) or to get a girl that even comes close to her." He states confidently but diverts his gaze from yours.

Your cheeks flush rapidly and there is no way you can help the grin that spreads across your lips. As cliche as it sounds, a warm fuzzy feeling takes over your body.

"Aw." Is all you manage to mumble out.

But pretty much as soon as the line is said Bucky moves on and is already neck deep in a new conversation about the stars and different constellations that he will be able to see at Camp Lehigh.

"So I looked into them and I'll be able to see Orien's Belt from a completely different angle!" He exclaims as if his previous comment meant nothing but nonsense to him.

Your heart sinks at this thought but at the same time it still flutters, hanging onto those words and treasuring them.

The three of you spend the rest of the night running around town going here there and everywhere. It's a bit of a blur. You end up in multiple pubs and come out drunker each time. But no matter how fuzzy your mind becomes you still can't shake that statement of Bucky's from your memory.

Did you mean what you said?

The question is on the tip of your tongue but there is just never quite the right moment to ask him or you keep getting interrupted.

You sing, you dance, you laugh, you meet up with other people you know well or faintly, you head down the street to the next bar.

Suddenly, before you know it the night has come to an end. Bucky and Steve walk you home. You hug each of them, lingering on Bucky's touch. A tear escapes each of your guys eyes as you say your goodbyes. He gives you a light kiss on your cheek with a hand on your waist as you whisper you'll see him again soon. He wipes the tear from your cheek and gives you a sad smile before turning to leave.

And the minute you close the door you realise that you forgot to ask.

Did you mean what you said?

----

That question has been haunting your mind since the minute it came into your head. Your biggest regret is never asking him.

Did you mean what you said?