Chance Encounters

You walk through the park soaking in the sunshine and fresh air, your dog Pippa tugging at the lead slightly as she runs around trying to smell everything when all of a sudden you here soft crying and sniffling. You gasp as you look beside you to see a little girl no older than seven sitting on a park bench crying into her hands.

"Aw, hey little girl are you okay?" You ask sadly as you crouch down in front of you.

She looks up at you and sniffles. "No."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm lost. I can't find my brother." She cries.

"Your brother? Where did you last see him?"

"I can't remember."

Great, you think to yourself knowing that you can't leave her now even though this is clearly going to be difficult.

"Okay then, can you tell me what he looks like?" You ask.

"He's got brown hair."

"What's he wearing."

"I can't remember." She pouts.

Oh my god, you internally groan. She's very cute and you want to help her but how are you meant to find him when all you know is his hair colour. For all you know he might not even be in the park.

"What's your name?" you ask her.

"Eva," she states.

"Well Eva, should we go for a walk to see if we can find your brother then?" you ask.

"Okay." She nods and wipes her eyes.

She slides off the bench, too small for her feet to touch the ground and you take her hand. She looks at Pippa with excitement.

"This is Pippa, you can pat her if you like." You smile.

She bends down and pats her.

"Hi Pippa!" She exclaims and giggles as Pippa jumps up and licks at her. "I really want a dog but Bucky won't let me get one."

"Aw that's a shame," you say sympathetically, assuming that Bucky must be her step father or something.

Just as you go to start walking you hear a voice coming from behind you.

"Eva?" They shout. "Eva?"

You turn around to see a young man walking down the path looking around rather frantically.

"Eva is that your brother?" You squat down and ask her, smiling as you point in his direction.

"It is!" She gasps, completely cheering up. "Bucky!" She exclaims and waves madly at him. "Buck buck!"

"Eva?" The man shouts when he sees her and immediately comes running over to her. "Oh Eva it is you!" He sighs clearly relieved and kneels down to hug her.

"Buck buck!" She beams as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I missed you!"

You don't know why but you were kind of expecting that her brother would be younger since she is. Instead he looks to be around about your age, 20, and is extremely handsome. Sure she said that he had brown hair but she forgot to mention that it is laced with caramel curls and his eyes shine like blue diamonds or that his face structure looks like it was carved by the gods.

"I missed you too," he says and pulls away to look at her seriously. "And I was worried sick." He then looks up at you and smiles. "Thank you so much for looking after her," he says as he stands up and shakes your hand.