Winter

Bucky comes back from where he got the spare woolen blanket for him and his best friend Steve from the cupboard. He slips back into the bed beside him and wraps the blanket around both him and Steve and pulls the thin sheet up over there shoulders.

They sit there together, hugging each other for warmth, teeth chattering and little bodies shivering.

"Boys I've bought you some hot chocolate." Steve's mother whispers as she enters the bedroom.

They thank her gratefully as she sets down a tray in front of them, licking their lips at the steaming hot cups.

"I'm sorry about the furnace. I'm trying to get someone to come fix it now." She sighs as she does up her dressing gown tighter.

"It's okay Mrs Rogers." Bucky smiles sweetly.

She smiles warmly back at him.

"Keep these curtains closed to try and keep some warmth inside." She says as she draws the curtains and then uses a match to light a lantern on Steve's bedside table.

"Okay mum." Steve shivers as she leaves and both boys reach for a cup, using the mug to warm their hands before taking a sip.

"I don't like winter." Bucky mumbles through numb lips.

"Neither." Steve shudders, his tiny, skinny frame frozen like an icicle.

"It's evil." Bucky continues. "It's cold and mean and it gets people sick. It kills them and doesn't seem to care because it comes back every year and does it again to even more people."

He looks at Steve who nods rigidly, his dainty nose pink from the cold.

"If winter were a person it would definitely be a bully. Maybe a murderer even." Bucky stutters as his teeth chatter uncontrollably.

Steve looks up at him and frowns confused.

"I bet he would look all silent and dark and appear out of no where just like it does now. One day it's warm and sunny and then next thing you know it's freezing cold, it's darker for longer, the streets are silent because everyone's staying inside trying to keep warm and not get sick but they can't stop it and slowly one by one you start to hear about your neighbours perishing from the flu or pnuemonia. But then suddenly just like that summer is back. I reckon that if winter was a person he would dress in black like a winters night, he would be silent and deadly and come out of no where. You could just be walking down the street or riding your bike and he would steel you away or wipe you out like a person slipping on a frozen puddle. People wouldn't even know where he came from or what happened to you. You'd just be gone and then he would disappear before anyone could do anything about it." He explains gravely, his eyes cold with imagination.

"Winter doesn't sound like he would be a very nice person." Steve says quietly and snuggles closer in to Bucky's side scared.

"No, he definitely doesn't. I wouldn't want to meet him." Bucky murmurs.