Are You Okay? (Part 3)

"Ouch!" Steve winces as you tie the last stitch above his eyebrow.

"I've got two questions for you guys," you state unsympathetically.

"Shoot," Bucky huffs.

"Why do you keep getting into fights?"

"Don't ask me ask Steve." Bucky rolls his eyes.

If there's one thing you've learnt about Steve since Bucky introduced you to him it's that he tends to get himself into a lot of sticky situations... And then drag Bucky in with him.

"That guy shouldn't have cut in front of me in the line." Steve simply shrugs.

"That doesn't mean it's a reason to call him out Steven!" Bucky exclaims frustratedly. "Seriously, I'm tired of having to pick you up off the pavement and get my clothes dirty for you."

"I could've handled it myself you know," Steve mumbles.

"Yeah right," Bucky scoffs. "He already had you bailed up in the corner by the time I came along."

"Okay next question." You roll your eyes as you rub alcohol over Steve's cut one last time for good measure. "Why do you guys always come to me? Some of your injuries need proper attention you know."

"Do you realise how much trouble we would get in if the authorities found out that we've been in a fight?" Steve asks you seriously.

"Correction, you've been in a fight," Bucky cuts in.

"Sorry what's that? I couldn't hear you over your split lip that you got from being punched in the mouth." Steve glares at him.

"Oh don't get angry at me Steve or you might just end up with a broken nose to match that meaty cut if you aren't careful. I only stepped in to save your ass."

"Boys shut up and stop fighting. You've clearly done enough of that already." You scold.

"Sorry," they both mutter and look at the ground like little kids in trouble - which they pretty much are.

"Now show me that hand of yours," you say to Bucky and gently lift his hand to examine it.

"Geez, what did you punch? A wall?" You frown as you look at it.

Each of his knuckles are cut up and dusted with blood and his whole hand is a little swollen and tinged slightly purple with bruising.

"Do you think it's broken?" he asks.

"No you wimp it's just badly bruised." You shake your head.

"Wow so sympathetic," Steve remarks.

"Don't you start," you warn him.

"Ah!" Bucky cringes as you prod at it a little too hard.

"Oh sorry baby!" You exclaim and can't help but lean up and peck him on the lips.

"It's okay." He sighs and smiles lovingly at you as you carefully kiss his hand better.

"Wait what?" Steve gawks, his mouth dropping open.

You blush and hide your face but can't help but grin while Bucky chuckles in amusement.

"I'm sorry what just happened? Didn't you just call him a wimp to seconds ago? And just the other week you guys were insisting that you were just friends."

You can't help but start laughing at his confusion.

"What are we now? Friends with benefits?" Steve frowns.

You absolutely burst out laughing at this.

"Well you certainly aren't but if that what you want to call it." Bucky smirks. "Lots and lots of benefits."

"Okay I'm lost, please explain," Steve asks, his brow furrowed in thought.

"Let's just say that our conversation at the diner a while back continued once we got home and turns out that the feeling is mutual." Bucky smiles triumphantly. "After all this time she really did like me like that."

"Jesus it's about fricken time!" Steve exclaims.

You grin up at Steve cheekily with your head resting on Bucky's chest.

"Wait so you mean to say that technically you guys got together because of me?" Steve asks, his eyes lighting up excitedly.

"I'm sure we would've figured it out eventually but sure if that's what you want to think then have fun with it." Bucky chuckles.

"Far out aren't I just the best!" Steve sighs and leans back in his chair. "You should be grateful that you get to stitch up my cuts (Y/N/N), just think of it as a thank you gift."

"Okay Stevie sure thing." You giggle.

As you dab at Bucky's knuckles to try and clean them your radio crackles quietly in the background. Nothing important comes on until suddenly one thing catches all of your guys attention.

"Breaking news! Due to numerous casualties and rapidly falling numbers of soldiers on the front lines, U.S. troops are going to be rallying for and expecting many more sign ups and an increase in drafting pools will be necessary to bring back our soldiers to a number that makes a difference!" A voice cuts in half way through a song and announces.

"Oh geez." You huff. "That's sad."

"Great," Bucky says sarcastically.

"Maybe they'll look at taking me now!" Steve exclaims, his face lighting up.

"I don't understand why you would want to go to war," Bucky says gloomily, his eyes downcast to where you are wrapping his fist in a bandage.

~

It's been a few hours now since you patched Steve up and he headed home. You got Bucky sorted as well but he has been quiet and hasn't been himself all afternoon. Not since the announcement.

You know it bothers him. The two of you have talked about it. You know he doesn't want to go to war or fight. Heck, he doesn't even like fighting in the streets for Steve let alone with grenades and guns. It would be so scary you don't even want to imagine it.

You don't really know what to say to Bucky. It occurs to you that usually it's you that is being comforted by him. Normally he doesn't let things get to him but the war is one thing that does. You've known that since the day you first met him at that ball. He spent a long time telling you about his distaste for innocent men fighting and killing each other for their countries when they don't even know each other.

Only one thing pops in to your mind that you could ask him at the moment. The thing he always asks you when you're down. There's no point in saying anything else.

"Buck, are you okay?" you ask him concerned as you slowly sit down beside him on the couch.

He looks at you with big puppy dog eyes and takes a few seconds to answer.

"No." He finally says pouting.

"Do you want to talk about it?" you ask quietly.

"What if I have to go to war?" He whimpers, tears pooling in his eyes.

"Oh baby." You sigh sadly, your heart breaking into thousands of pieces. "I don't know."

"I don't want to go. I don't want to leave you." He cries and buries his head in the crook of your neck.  

"I don't want you to leave either." You say softly and kiss his temple, your hand going to his head and stroking it softly. "But no matter what happens I'm sure it'll all be okay in the end. I promise you you'll come home."