Winters Arrival

So I know that this one isn't exactly pre-war but I still consider it to be based in that earlier era so I figured I'd share it with you guys anyway :)

He was near dead when they bought him in. If it wasn't for Zola's earlier work on him he would be dead for sure.

He was frozen. Chilled to the bone. Pale skin, blue lips, chattering teeth, sinking in and out of consciousness as they lay him on the table for examination.

Seeing things like this only made you hate this job more. But you had to do it. For the safety of your family.

"This here is Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes. It was brought to our attention that he would be the perfect candidate for our Winter Soldier project. He is already well trained so should pick up our protocol easily. Dr Zola has already done some experimentation on him so he should now be able to adapt to the harsher stuff well. We're very lucky to have our hands on him. However, he did sustain severe injuries from his fall and will take some time to recover." The doctor explained to you as you craned your neck to try and catch sight of the sickly man on the table.

You didn't really have a specific job with Hydra. Just whatever they wanted or needed you for. And this time you had been called in to look after Bucky Barnes throughout his recovery and adjustment.

----

He was just waking up from his operation. You stood and watched quietly from the side of the room.

They wanted him to become familiar with you early on to gain your trust. You were to become his place of comfort in this torture chamber. Someone he could turn to and you could build him back up. Until the transformation was complete, that was.

Straight away he knew something was off. His attention went straight to the metal contraption now hanging from his left shoulder. He lifted it. Flexed and extended his fingers before a dark look took over his face.

The doctor who had previously given you the run down on his story happened to be standing within arms reach of him and in a split second ended up with his throat being squeezed tightly by the metal hand.

He gasped desperately and clawed at Barnes's arm but to no avail. In only a matter of seconds he had been dropped to the ground.

You weren't sure if he was dead or just unconscious. Although a voice in your head was saying that he deserved it.

You in no way agreed with Hydra's work. In fact you hated them. If anything you were on S.H.I.E.L.D'S side. You couldn't believe what they were doing to this poor man and although there was nothing you could do to stop it you were going to try and make his life less of the living hell that it was about to become.

Now was your chance to make your first move.

Careful. Approach him with caution but don't come across as stand offish. No doubt he will be confused and angry.

You remembered their words. You knew you had to stick to them like glue.

There would be cameras watching you almost all the time. Probably even people on the other side of that one way glass.