Are You Okay? (Part 2)

"Hey doll I'm going out for lunch with Steve if you'd like to come?" Bucky asks as he comes back into the living room after being on the phone.

"Sure I won't say no to that." You shrug.

"Cool, we leave in ten," he says as he disappears back into his room.

"Ten! What? You could've given me more notice!" you shout in dismay as you rush to your room to get ready.

"What's the matter? You need time to do your makeup? Your not trying to dress up and impress Steve now are you?" he teases.

No I'm trying to impress you, you think to yourself.

"No Buck. But unless you want to be seen with Count Dracula's daughter I would leave me to get ready," you say instead.

"Yes boss," he says sternly.

~

Twenty minutes later you're walking around the block to your guys favourite diner.

"Damn it (Y/N) now Steve's going to have been waiting," Bucky sighs although you know he's only digging to get a rise out of you.

"Why don't you try being a girl for a day and see how easy it is for you to get ready Buck? There are expectations on us you know?" you remark fed up.

"I'm joking doll!" he exclaims and laughs while slinging an arm around your shoulders. "Chill out!"

You roll your eyes and nudge him in the ribs as he pushes open the door of the diner and guides you inside.

"Ow!" He yelps and flinches a little laughing lightheartedly.

In the far corner you can see Steve sitting at a table for two. He looks up when he hears Bucky laughing, his face looking a little surprised when he sees the two of you.

It suddenly dawns on you that perhaps Steve wasn't expecting you.

"Ah, hey Stevie." Bucky sighs as he strides over.

"Hey Buck, hey (Y/N). Didn't realise you were coming." He smiles.

"Oh sorry, Bucky invited me and I didn't think it was a problem." You frown up at Bucky.

"Yeah sorry I hope it's all good. I kind of just assumed..." Bucky shrugs and trails off.

"Oh no it's no problem. We will just move into a booth instead." He shakes his head and shuffles out of his seat.

He slides into the booth right next to where he was and Bucky pulls you into the opposite side right beside him. You can't help but notice the way Steve eyes up Bucky's arm still around you.

"Sorry we're late," you say to clear the slightly awkward silence that is forming.

"Yeah it was (Y/N)'s fault," Bucky interrupts.

"Hey! No! Bucky didn't give me any notice," you protest.

"It's fine guys seriously. Should we order?" Steve chuckles.

"Yeah it's on me," Bucky says and grins down at you.

"Aw isn't that cute," Steve coos.

"What?" Bucky asks.

"Now that you guys are going out," he deadpans.

Through the sudden confusion your heart flutters. Has Bucky said something to Steve to make him think that?

"What? Oh no. Come on Steve we've talked about this," Bucky huffs and immediately withdraws his arm from your shoulder. Instead he clasps his hands together on the table.

Boom. Your heart comes crashing back down.

"Oh sorry. I just thought since, you know..." Steve blushes red knowing that he's created an awkward situation.

"Since what?" Bucky presses.

"You guys haven't been able to take your eyes or your hands off of each other since you got here! Anyone else just passing on the street would think you were madly in love!" Steve exclaims.

Your eyes widen and you look down in embarrassment.

"No Steve, like I just said. We're just friends," Bucky sighs.

"Yeah," you mumble. "Just friends."

~

Ever since you got home from that awkward lunch you've hidden away in your room and not talked to Bucky. Mad at yourself for letting your chances slip away. Mad at Steve for bringing that stupid subject up. Mad at Bucky for not giving you another chance. Although why should he have to when he's given you enough already?

"Hello?" you hear a timid voice say as someone who you know will be Bucky knocks on your door.

"What?" you grumble and look up at him.

"Are you okay?" he asks innocently from where he stands in the doorway.

"I'm fine," you shrug.

"No your not."

"How do you know?"

"Because you haven't talked to me all afternoon."

"Well, if it makes you better, it's not you, it's me."

"Jesus it sounds like a break up." He tries.

You look up at him but don't laugh.

"Seriously are you okay?" he presses.

"Why do you always ask that?" you ask frustratedly.

"I didn't realise I did," he remarks taken aback. "And I'm sorry if it annoys you but it's generally what you say to someone when they don't seem themselves."

"Well you do. It was the first thing you ever said to me in fact." You frown up at him defensively and fold your arms.

"You remember the first thing I ever said to you?" He laughs and comes over to sit next to you on the bed.

"Yes." You murmur.

"How?"

"Because it meant a lot to me on that night. As does most things you say."

"Wow, I had no idea." He remarks. "Like what?"

You swallow nervously and take a deep breath.

"Like when you say that we are just friends."

"Is that what this is about?"

"Maybe."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I want to be more than just friends."

"Geez doll why didn't you say so? I've been asking you that since I first met you!"

"I didn't realise I was ready until you stopped asking." You shrug.

"How long have you felt this way?" He huffs, composing himself.

"I don't know, a few months."

"You mean to tell me I've been suffering through the friend zone for the last however many months when you could've been my girl all this time?!" He exclaims.

"Sorry." You shrug. "I'm just not as brave as you. But you know if the offers still there..."

"Oh doll, the offer never stopped." He grins at you before pressing his lips to yours in a sweet, passionate kiss.