Finally (Part 22)

Bucky's POV:

"You're joking right?" I scoff incredulously at Steve's words. "Now?"

"Yes Buck, I'm sorry." He sighs, a mixture of stress, sadness and frustration tearing at his features.

I almost have to laugh.

"You mean to tell me that I'm expected to go on a mission right now, when my wife is due to have a baby in two weeks, especially after what happened last time I left?" I ask unimpressed.

"Yes, I'm really sorry. I don't want to go either. I've got a new born at home that I want to spend time with." He huffs.

"Steve, I am not missing the birth of my child again," I say seriously.

"Bucky you know I don't want that to happen. Come on, please, Howard said we've got a massive lead on this guy. We won't be going far, just to New Jersey. I promise if any news comes through you can go home straight away."

"Yeah but how will I get the message?" I shoot back.

"Buck, I'm just trying to help. I wouldn't make you go if we didn't need to, but I don't want to sound dramatic by saying that the fate of the world could depend on it but it's true." Steve sighs and gives me a pleading look.

"Fine. But if it gets to (Y/N)'s due date I have to come home."

"Deal. It shouldn't take that long anyway."

                               ~~~~

I walk home and run a hand through my hair in stress. Why now? Why can nothing be done the easy way in this household? How am I going to tell (Y/N)? How will she take it? I know she can't help it but she's been so moody lately. She's uncomfortable, she's sore, she's tired and to make it worse her morning sickness is keeping her up. To be honest she has every right to take what I'm about to tell her the wrong way.

Your POV:

You place Luke and Isla's fruit bowls in front of them just as the front door opens.

"Dad!" They both squeal and jump up running over to him, knowing who it is before seeing him.

"Hey guys." He sighs and embraces them both, picking them up in a hug.

Straight away you can tell that something's wrong. You stand back giving him a smile as he greets the kids but he's not himself. Normally he'd be smiling and showering them with kisses, joking around, but he just hugs them quietly and buries his face in their necks.

When he places them down you step in.

"Why don't you guys eat your afternoon tea out here okay? We'll be back in a minute," you say lightly.

"Where are you going?" Luke asks, picking up on something.

"I just need to show daddy something," you lie.

Bucky looks at you confused but you shoot him a knowing look before taking his hand and leading him to your bedroom. You sit down on the edge of the bed, tired from standing and sigh.

"What's wrong?" you ask quietly, looking up at him.

He smiles sadly before leaning down and placing his hands on your waist.

"You know me so well," he mumbles.

"Buck," you say just wanting an answer.

"Doll I'm so sorry," he starts, a guilty look on his face.

"Why..."

"I have to go on a mission," he says, his face sombre.

"What?" You gasp. "Now?"