What Would You Do Without Me?

The way the door is opened and swung shut quietly without a loud bang tells you something is up immediately. Instead of joyful banter there is just the scuffling of feet and a few quiet murmurs.

"I told you just to walk away punk." A voice that clearly belongs to Bucky mumbles.

"Boys? That you?" You call as you walk out of your room.

You enter the living space to see your two best friends, heads hanging low, shuffling into the kitchen.

"Geez, what's wrong with you two?" You remark teasingly.

"Steve's too big for his boots that's what." Bucky grumbles.

"Hey! I had him on the ropes!" Steve snaps back.

"What? What're you two on about?" You frown as you cross over to them.

Their faces are still downcast and they face slightly away from you, side by side as if they are two naughty boys about to get a beating.

"You sure seem to be finding that floor very interestin' this evening. Somethin' you're not telling me?" You state as you come to stand in front of them, hands on your hips.

They don't reply, just scuff their heels nervously.

"Boys?" You sigh annoyed. "Look at me."

You grab Steve by the chin and yank his head up to reveal a busted lip and black eye.

"Ugh not again!" You groan as you turn to do the same to Bucky, finding a nasty looking gash above his eyebrow and now mostly dry blood consequently streaking his cheek.

He grins at you sheepishly but you just roll your eyes.

"You two just can't stay out of trouble can you?" You huff.

"It was Bucky's fault." Steve says frantically.

"No way! You started it!" Bucky exclaims, turning to face Steve.

The two of them look like they are about to start a fight of their own.

"How old are you two?" You scold.

"20." Bucky mumbles.

"19." Steve says quietly.

"Exactly. Y'all are acting like your 5." You snap. "Now sit down." You point and the two shuffle so that they are sitting in two of the three chairs in your shared apartment.

These two are your best friends and you love them to bits but they drive you insane.

"Now what exactly happened this time?" You sigh.

"Some idiot banged into me while we were on the street so of course Steve had to go and threaten him even though he was twice even my size hence when I had to save Steve's scrawny ass I got my own ass beaten in doing so." Bucky explains. "Got 'em good in the end though aye Stevie?" He smirked cockily.

"Only just, you jerk." Steve mumbles, folding his arms across his chest defensively.

"Honestly, one day you two are gonna get the pulp beaten outta you and I'm just not gonna bother to clean it up anymore!" You tut as you start to run a rag under the tap. After ringing it out you walk over to the little freezer and pull out a piece of meat.

"Dang it Steve, this is our last good one." You moan as you walk back over and place it over his swollen eye.

He takes hold of it and you kneel down in front of him to attend to his cut lip.

"Sorry (Y/N)." He mumbles quietly.

"I'll deal with you in a minute." You say pointedly to Bucky as you begin to tentatively dab at Steve's lip.