113

The Harvest ritual failing was puzzling to some people. Two people in particular.

"I say someone stole the Harvest magic. Power like that doesn't just disappear. And there were no signs of something going wrong. Everything was working," Rebekah said to the two people walking with her, one of them she was holding hands with.

"It's a witch ritual, which we know nothing about. It's not like we really know if it was working," Stefan stated, rubbing circles with his thumb on Rebekah's hand that he was holding.

"Come on, Stef. Be smart," Damon said in disbelief. "It may be a crazy ass witch ritual, but it was working and then nothing. When does nothing ever happen in this city?"

"Never," Stefan answered.

"Exactly," Damon spoke.

"So how do we find out who stole the Harvest power?" Stefan asked, now on board with Rebekah's and Damon's thinking.

"Well, I convinced Klaus to release Thierry, who dated a French Quarter witch and therefore, knows about French Quarter witch covens. I'm hoping he'll lead me to whoever stole off with the Harvest magic," Rebekah explained.

"While you do that, I have a better idea," Damon stated.

"Which is?" Stefan questioned.

"I'll tell you when it works out," Damon said and walked away from the two of them.

"Your brother is going to get himself killed," Rebekah stated.

"Probably," Stefan sighed. "I'm gonna go see Eira. Eira has a sixth sense for things going wrong, so maybe we can attempt to figure something out."

"Tell her thank you, by the way," Rebekah said.

"What? Why?" Stefan questioned.

"I wasn't the only one convincing Klaus to let Thierry out. Eira helped," Rebekah explained.

"Right. Okay," Stefan said and then frown lines approached on Stefan's head. "Call me if anything goes wrong."

"Yes, of course, Mr. Serious," Rebekah teased and smoothed her hand across Stefan's forehead.

"I'm not that serious," Stefan said, looking down, deep in thought with more frown lines. "Am I?"

"Yes, Stefan, you are. But that's okay," Rebekah smiled. "Now, kiss me before you leave."

Stefan smiled and his frown lines disappeared. He leaned in towards Rebekah and kissed her just like she asked. And he left just like he said. But they were both happier from being with each other.

____________________

Eira was back at the compound after being out with Kol. She had a call from Klaus telling her to come back to the compound because something had happened. Now they were all looking at two desiccated vampires with magical marks on their heads, that meant they had been sacrificed.

"Someone will die for this," Klaus's first words were.

"Remarkably, I don't disagree. However, I would like to know where they learned such dark magic," Elijah stated.

"I had hoped never to see that symbol again. I recall it is the signature of a fool who once stood against us," Klaus said.

"Clearly, some upstart witch is salvaging old tricks," Elijah spoke.

"What if it's not a new witch? What if it's the same one?" Stefan started. "Four witches were supposed to be resurrected, and what if they were resurrected, just not the ones we were expecting."

"Well, it's not impossible," Kol inputted.

"My baby bro is right. Has anyone been to the cemetery lately? Because it answers a lot of questions," Damon's voice rung out as he entered the courtyard. "There are three graves that have been dug out of. Like they've come back from the dead."

"So the Harvest was working?" Elijah questioned but it was more of a statement.

"Not only that, but now we have three old threats returned from the dead. Papa Tunde is one of them, and it'll be lovely to see who the other two are so I can kill them again," Klaus raged.

Eira was silent through this exchange, just absorbing information until Klaus looked at her. He seemed to be analyzing her as if a thought came to his attention and it had, "You are not to leave here until this old enemy has been dealt with."

He didn't want any one of his enemies to get ahold of Eira. That thought scared him more than anything else and he hoped that day would never come.

"Diego, when night falls, I want you to gather every vampire in the Quarter. Get me the head of this returned witch and put it on a stick," Klaus addressed the dark skinned vampire.

"Yeah. That's gonna be a problem. Everyone is freaked out, man. We haven't had witches killing vampires in a long time. Marcel made sure of that," Diego explained, speaking for the other vampires.

"Marcel has run off like a scared child. You lot are left with me. Now, who of you will fight to defend our home?" Klaus asked but no vampire stepped forward. "Not a single one of you will stand with me, so afraid are you of this threat? You should know better. I'll handle this myself."

Klaus stormed off to handle the threat himself and Eira took a step forward to go after him, worried about his wellbeing. But both Stefan and Kol pulled her back, keeping her from going anywhere.

"Don't worry, darling. I got his back," Kol spoke with his lips close to Eira's ear and he put his hand on her shoulder and then he left, going after Klaus.

Stefan and Damon looked at her while Elijah looked amused. She noticed her brothers' looks, "What?"

"What was that? He was way too close. He called you 'darling' and there was hand on shoulder touching," Damon became protective. "Don't tell me he likes you, too."

"She's pretty, man. She's always likable," Diego inputted into the conversation and everyone looked at him.

"I don't remember anyone inviting you into this conversation," Damon glared.

Eira sighed dramatically and grabbed Damon, dragging him away before he caused any drama. Stefan apologized to Diego and then followed after them.

Author's Note: I have no idea what the heck this chapter became. But I thought it was funny at the end so I went with it. I know I said I'd update twice but I started reading a book and I couldn't put it down, so I apologize.

And no, Kol doesn't like her. Not in a romantic way, at least. But Kol's a flirty character from what I've seen.