2 - The Sacrifice

The days of peace soon ended when a maid came into my room and told me the Marquess wanted to see me. For sixteen years, I have seen my supposed father only a handful of times. Because I was always sick, mother does not allowed me anywhere public. Because I wasn't favored, the Marquess never cared to know if I was well. So to be called suddenly, instinct told me that it will not end well. The feeling intensified when I came into the main hall to see everyone there - the Marquess, his main wife, all of his concubines, grandmother, and my half brothers and sisters. My mother was holding my baby brother with a dotting smile to spare me a glance.

My instinct was proven correct when the indifferent man ordered me to get ready for marriage. I was the youngest daughter, and by far, the plainest of the Marquess infamous beautiful daughters. My oldest half sister was the most beautiful and was not married yet.

Why was I, the youngest, being married off?

I noticed the delighted smiles on my half-sisters faces. When the Marquess told me my future husband was Duke Haijin , I realized why.

Duke Haijin is also known as Prince Jian of Wu Xi. He is the most favored grandson of the Great Emperor Wu Huizhong, the ruler of most powerful nation Wu Xi. At twenty three years old, the man have commands over 500,000 soldiers and 200,000 forces he calls "Black Mask". The title Duke Haijin had been bestowed to him five years ago with intention for him to help the young Emperor Peizhi stabilize the country of Milong.

It was no secret that Prince Jian had over 2 dozen concubines with no official wife. They say he use women like paper – used once before he discards them like trash. The Marquess had said I was lucky. He ensured me that I was going to be married as the official wife of Prince Jian. I didn't know his true intention, but I understood I was the sacrifice.

When everything was said and done, I was dismissed back to my room.

There was no way for me to escape.