41 - The Act

The moon banquet didn't end until the sun peaked against the horizon. I was walking tiredly beside the Prince when we exited the palace gates. 

"Don't rub at your eyes"

The Prince stopped and took hold of my cheeks. Using his thumbs, he gently rubbed the bottom of my eyes to ease the weariness.

"Better?"

I nodded and blinked my eyes to clear my vision.

"You can rest once we're inside the carriage"

Before we reached the carriage, a call stopped us in our tracks. The familiarity of the voice made my heart pound. Unconsciously, I stepped to the Prince's side and took hold of the sleeve on his robe. When the Prince smiles and patted my cheek, my heart calmed.

Turning, I saw the Marquess, his wife, my oldest half-brother, and half-sisters. The first thing I noticed was my half-sisters silent glares. Aifen, my eldest half-sister, had an expression similar to the Prince's concubines when they look at me. It had felt odd because she wasn't even the Prince's concubine.

"Marquess Li" The Prince spoke with his usual arrogant grin. "I did not realize you were here at the banquet, or else, Ruyi and I would have properly greeted you"

That was a lie but the Marquess force out a calm smile.

"It's been a while since I've seen you child"

It felt strange to hear the Marquess speaking gently to me. I remained silence toward the false act.

"Why did you not come give your parents a proper greeting after your wedding?" He spoke like a parent scolding his child lightly. "Do you know how sad your mother was?"

My mother would never care if I come or not.

"Father is talking to you" Aifen spoke with disbelief. "You're always like this. So rude when father loves you so much"

Then she turned to the Prince standing quietly beside me.

"She always acts so frail and weak in front of others, but at home, she's so haughty and rude. Because father loves her so much she thinks she can get away with treating people like air"

"Oh?" The Prince brow rose with amusement.

"Yes" Aifen smiled and continued. "All the maids and servants are afraid of her and_"

"Now-now" Her mother stopped her gently.

I could see how the Marquess' wife was acting as if she didn't want the Prince to hear the truth about who I was.

"Look, even now she still refuse to talk to father" My other half-sisters chimed in.

My voice was stuck at my throat. I never spoke to them because when I do, they would tell me not to speak. As if my body was still living at the Marquess' home, it could not speak.

"Ruyi"

My heart turned cold when the Marquess spoke my name for the first time. I felt nothing.

"Are you upset that I married you off so young?" He sighed tiredly, as if he truly cared about me. "Is that why you refused to come home to visit?"

The Prince sudden laughter made everyone look at him.

"It's my fault" The Prince smiled while he seductively wrapped an arm around my waist.

I heard the soft gasp from my half-sisters when the Prince tilted my chin up with the crook of his long finger.

"Since I kept Ruyi all to myself ever since I saw her" His smiling eyes were all on me. "I've forgotten Ruyi still have parents to greet"

The Prince then let go of my chin to hold my head against his chest. The shock expressions on my half-sisters made me uncomfortable. They were all staring at the Prince with longing.

"Why don't I bring Ruyi to the Marquess home in a few days?" The Prince spoke casually. "It's only proper since Ruyi is leaving with me soon"

Again, the Marquess forced a smile.

"I'm sure you all would miss Ruyi when she's in Wu Xi. After all, it would be years before we return"

My sisters' eyes widened in panic - especially Aifen.

"Let's go home Ruyi" The Prince smiled softly at me. "You need your rest"

The Marquess and his family were left speechless when the Prince led me to our waiting carriage.