15 - Punishment

I wasn't surprised when Prince ordered my confinement. I was not allowed to leave my quarters and that my meals were served in my room. As I ate quietly, I could see the pity in the maids' eyes.

Why the pitied looks?

At least my meals were still being giving to me. But after a few bite, I noticed the taste of the food was off. The taste was somewhat familiar – the same taste when my mother cooks for me.

"Mistress, is something wrong with the meal?"

I didn't know how to respond. Was this why I was to eat in my room? These foods were specifically made for me. Was this my punishment? I emptied my mind and continued to eat.

By lunchtime, my stomach begins to hurt. It was still bearable.

"Mistress, is something wrong with the meal?"

I didn't respond and eat through the pain. I knew by nightfall, the pain will increase but continued to endure it.

"Mistress, is something wrong with the meal?"

Sure enough, when dinner was served, the pain intensified. I wasn't sure if I could handle any more of the food and slept hoping the maids will not disturb me. Through the night, I repeated in my mind over that it didn't hurt, over and over until I feel asleep.

The next few days, I ate less. I couldn't handle much but the maids insisted I eat more or they will be punished for not serving me well. Then one morning, I woke up with a horrible headache. Just the soft sound of knocking felt like someone was banging my head against the wall. The maid was telling me that the Prince wants me in the Main Hall. Curled up with the covers tightly around my body, I couldn't respond with the pain pounding inside head and chest. When maid's voice finally disappeared, I felt relieved. Silence help ease the pain.

I managed to fall back asleep until the thunderous sound woke me up. The pounding headache immediately came back while my heart was beating fast and hard. My vision blurred as I tried to sit up. Then when I was violently grabbed, the headache went straight to throat. Before I could stop myself, I threw up black and red blood all over the Prince's white robe. I was afraid he would kill me for getting him dirty, but I closed my eyes tiredly, accepting the unavoidable death.

I couldn't hear the screaming of the maids. I couldn't hear the Prince shouting for the doctor. And I didn't see the panic in his eyes when he saw no color on my face. Only my lips were dyed red with the color of my own blood.

When he held me tight to his chest and carried me out, I felt completely numb.