66 - The Empress

It had been nearly five years since the people of the court saw Prince Wu Jian. Standing in front of the left line directly across from the Crown Prince, Prince Wu Jian was the youngest in the Court at twenty-three. The untouchable Prince wore white robe with the gold and red embroidery of a dragon - a symbol only the Emperor or his heir could wear. His long hair is tied up in a simple knot with intricate headpiece that let everyone know he was the Lead Commander of Wu Xi.

A sense of pride floats throughout the Court. The young man was their Prince Wu Jian. Their Prince was physically and mentally strong. No one could deny the Prince's charisma.

After the court meeting, Wu Jian went to see his grandmother – the Empress Wenqian. Emperor Huizhong had told him his grandmother missed him and wanted to have a meal with him. When Wu Jian arrived to the Empress' quarter palace with the Emperor and the Crown Prince, he found several others women present.

"Wu Jian greets her royal Empress" Wu Jian spoke with usual calm expression.

"Jian" Empress Wenqian was only a few years younger than Emperor Huizhong but was still very beautiful.

No one was surprised when she got up from her seat and went to Wu Jian. It was rare that Prince Wu Jian let anyone touch him, but the Empress was the grandmother who had raised him alongside his grandfather. She had been one of the few that could touch his cheek.

"You've grown so much like Quan" Her eyes were soft and misty with affection.

Wu Hai Quan had been known to be a handsome man. Wu Jian would often hear from his grandmother how much he looked like his father.

"How are you these last five years?"

The Empress took Wu Jian's arm and walked him toward the table where several extravagant dishes were prepared. She made small talk while they sat at the large round table of ten people. Wu Jian ate and didn't bother to talk much, only responding to his grandmother's mundane question with short straightforward answers.

"What do you think of the meal?"

Wu Jian didn't response. He was not ignorant to know the Empress' intentions. The game had been easy to detect as soon as he entered the Empress' living quarter. A game he knew all too well.

"Your cousin, Ting prepared everything here by herself"

The Empress gave a teasing smile to the young woman who had sat so coyly the entire time beside Wu Jian.

"Yes" The Empress gently patted Wu Jian's arm. "She went through a lot of effort"

Wu Jian continued to eat in silence. His unreadable eyes did not meet anyone. The Emperor and the Crown Prince were eating with a knowing smile on their faces – both were smart not to say a word.

"Ting is a wonderful cook" Her mother added. "Her majesty always have Ting-Ting cook for her. Even his majesty enjoys the meals Ting-Ting makes. Prince Jian, Ting-Ting had always wanted to make a warm meal for you"

"Mother, stop" Ting blushed and turned to the side with a shy demeanor.

The women all giggled at the blushing girl, while the men continued to eat in silence.

"Prince Jian, surely, that Marquess' pampered daughter does not know to cook like this." Ting's mother continues with a sweet smile. "Although Ting-Ting is a Princess, she is not spoiled and pampered like the Marquess daughter. We all know you do not like women who_"

Wu Jian set the empty bowl down calmly but the sound of the bowl was so sharp, that no one dared to speak. The silence became awkward but Wu Jian nonchalantly glanced at a nearby eunuch. The clever old eunuch came over with a cup of tea.

"J_Jian-ge" Ting nervously turned to Wu Jian, wanting badly for him to look at her.

She had dressed simply in pale color dress because she hoped Wu Jian would take notice of her soft side. She had woke up early that morning just so she could prepare all this meals. She wanted him to see how much effort she's putting in order to please him.

"Wu Jian thanks her majesty for the meal" Wu Jian set the cup of tea down before he stood. "Wu Jian will take his leave"

"J_ Jian-ge" Ting took hold of the sleeve of his robe, not wanting him to go.

When his cold eyes turned to her, she quickly let go. His eyes held a deadly glare – it was like he would cut off her hands if she touched him. Seeing how cold he was to her despite all her efforts, Ting's teary eyes turned to the Empress for help.

"Jian" The Empress said gently. "Ting is a good girl, she_"

"Your Majesty" Wu Jian cold eyes turned to the Empress. "All due respect, Wu Jian does not care"

Stunned, the Empress was speechless. She knew Wu Jian's cold temperament, but it was the first time her grandson spoke to her so indifferently. It upset and hurt her to realize it all because of his current Wang Fei.

"Wu Jian" Empress Wenqian's expression was no longer soft. "You even speak to your grandmother this way because of some woman?"

The Empress' statement only made Wu Jian laughed. Everyone but the Emperor and the Crown Prince was surprised.

"Some woman..." Wu Jian chuckled coldly.

Instead of the Empress, Wu Jian faced the Emperor.

"I'll speak this way to anyone who disregard my woman"

Wu Jian walked off, refusing to stop for anyone - not even for the Empress.