83 - Interpretation & Fate

"In the library..."

I answered even though I didn't know why the Emperor was asking about a book.

"Library?" Emperor Huizhong eyes went to Jumao. "Go retrieve it"

Jumao went to her knees, unsure by the sudden command.

"The brown unmarked book..." I said softly to Jumao.

As soon as Jumao heard me, she bowed and quickly left with several of the Prince's guard to retrieve the book. Because the Prince's Residence was outside the Palace, the Prince knew it was take a while for Jumao to return. We went back to our tent to wait.

The wait felt like an eternity with the deafening silence looming in the air. The grand banquet had supposed to be filled with festivity. When did it become so solemn?

When Jumao finally returned, I watched as she quickly handed the brown book to eunuch. I didn't think the Emperor would be absorbed by an old book. I didn't think the Empress would be moved to tears by the sight of it.

"Li Ruyi, why do you have this?"

I already answered this question.

"Ruyi found it..."

"Lies!"

"Princess Wu Ting" The Empress said coldly. "Another outburst and you'll join Madam Muyang in the Prayer Hall"

In tears, Wu Ting sat back down with resentment in her eyes.

"Li Ruyi, speak the truth"

"Ruyi found it in the Marquess' library"

Why did the Empress think I was lying? Several years ago, when I still lived in the Marquess Estate, I had found the old book in the library.

"How could your father obtain this? Even if he is a Marquess"

How would I know? I only found it. I didn't know its origin.

"May I take a look, your majesty?"

Crown Prince of Thonze suddenly spoke with his usual carefree smiles. The Empress looked reluctant to let go of the book but soon handed it to the eunuch beside her.

"It's said that the Holy Scriptures will find its way to those with infinity for peace and life. This book seems to have found that infinity in Lady Li"

"What do you mean, Prince Kham Leng"

Prince Kham Leng chuckled softly as he faced the Emperor and Empress of Wu Xi.

"Compared to others, the ink of this book is still fresh. The front is left unmarked and the cover is made with the plainest fabric"

"It's copied by a monk master" A cold, deep voice answered everyone's unspoken question.

"Yes" Prince Kham Leng grinned as he looked at Prince Wu Jian.

"How would a mere Marquess able to get this book?"

Empress Wenqian couldn't believe it. As the Empress of Wu Xi, she wasn't able to get a copy of the Holy Scripture. All these years, the old master had only let her read it within the temple grounds.

"Fate" Prince Kham Leng answered casually. "And it's fate that it's now in Lady Li's hands"

Fate? How could it be fate? There had been so many books in the Marquess' library. I simply took whichever I could reach.

"Li Ruyi, where is the poem in the scripture?"

Why did the Empress look so anxious? Why is she so concern with the poem? Did I make a mistake?

"The first chapter..."

"Speak the truth!"

I flinched at the Empress' angry voice. Again. Why did the Empress think I was lying? Frightened, I leaned closer to the Prince who took tight hold of my hand.

"It is as Lady Li say" Prince Kham Leng spoke with a lilt of laughter, as if he found the Empress' outburst strange. "The poem is indeed in the first chapter"

The Empress still did not believe it. Every first of the month, she would go to the Temple to read Tripitaka. Because it was the last memory of her son, she continued to search for his poem in the Holy Scripture. She had read the first chapter so many times and never found the poem.

"My Empress... it's her interpretation"

Emperor Huizhong's voice was soft, but it rang loudly in the Empress Wenqian's heart. Her interpretation? Those are her words? But how could it be? That Li Ruyi words are the same as her beloved son?

For two people to create the same poem... Was this call fate?