79 - Fearless Firebird

"Ruyi"

When my hands were removed from my ears, I opened my eyes to see the Prince's usual calm expression.

"Bring Wang Fei's another pair of gloves"

The Prince removed the gloves from my hands and tossed them into the burning charcoal. Jumao came forward with another white pair of gloves.

What happened?

I turned to see the dancer in red no longer conscious while one of the Prince's guard dragged her body away.

Complete silence.

All the other dancers were huddled together with their hands over their mouths and tears running down their faces.

Fear - absolute fear.

"Ruyi"

The Prince cupped my chin and brought my face back to face him.

"Don't concern yourself with them"

Then he patted my cheek gently before placing another warm dish of sweet buns in front of me.

Was it appropriate for me to continue eating?

His soft smile was all the answer I need to reach for the sweet bun.

Meanwhile, sitting under the golden tent, Emperor Huizhong had been watching the entire event amusedly with his cheek against his fist.

"Y_your Majesty..." Wu Ting's voice shook as she whispered to the silent Empress.

Empress Wenqian's face was the exact opposite of her Emperor - bitter and dissatisfied.

"Crown Prince"

The Emperor glanced at the Crown Prince who nodded and stood. Before the crowd, the Crown Prince casually announced the musicians to come forward. The dancers were quickly removed while several eunuchs prepared the instruments. As if nothing had happened, a group of musicians entered the field and begin to play a festive melody. Within minutes, the banquet was filled with noise and laughter again. Both the Emperor and Empress remained calm while they watched the festive banquet before them.

"Your Majesty" The Empress held her stoic expression.

"Our grandson is fearless" The Emperor respond with a grin.

In front of so many people - in front of the Emperor and Empress of Wu Xi, Prince Wu Jian had dared to act out in violence. On the birthday of his grandfather, the young man had dared to spill blood.

"Your Majesty is letting this go?" The Empress bite out each words.

"Did you want to punish him?" The Emperor smiling eyes flickered to the Empress.

The Empress was angry, but in the end, she did not want to punish her beloved grandson. The one she wanted to punish was the young woman sitting beside him.

"Firebird will burn anyone who threaten its mate"

Emperor Huizhong imparted those words to Empress Wenqian.