95 - Do Not Force

Prince Wu Jian did not want any news of his Wang Fei's pregnancy to spread so had strict orders for the servants and maids to be cautious about is said in his estate. To ensure Ruyi's safety, Wu Jian had his hidden force, the Black Masked send several more shadow soldiers to watch over the estate. He had always been protective over his Ruyi. Now that she's in a more vulnerable condition, he refused to let anything or anyone come close to her.

Empress Wenqian, on the other hand, after knowing that Li Ruyi is pregnant with her great grandchild, became more concern for the frail woman. Her grandson Wu Jian was a man – therefore does not know how to watch over a pregnant woman. She had believed to safeguard Li Ruyi's child, the frail woman must be brought into the palace. If she's in the inner palace, the Empress could have the best royal physician tend to Li Ruyi's care. If Li Ruyi was living with her, the Empress will be able to provide the best care for the mother-to-be.

The problem is Empress Wenqian knew her grandson's temper. Especially now, the two are not in good terms. She knew her hot-tempered grandson would see her good intentions as a scheme to harm his Wang Fei. She knew he would refuse. So she went to the Emperor for help. She had hoped the Emperor would be able to convince the stubborn grandson to let her be a part of his child's life.

"No"

The Empress had expected the Prince to deny the proposal. In silence, she watched as the Emperor continued to reason with the Prince.

"Jian, your Wang Fei needs proper care. Your estate has only a few women and no one qualified to tend to Wang Fei's needs"

When the Emperor found out that Li Ruyi was carrying his favored grandson's child, he had been overjoyed by the news. His Empress had expressed her concerns and proposed to have Li Ruyi live within the inner palace so that she could ensure the young woman's safe pregnancy, he had agreed. It had made sense that experienced mothers would know what a mother-to-be needed.

"Jian, your child is precious to me" The Emperor frowned. "Jian, do you not care for your Wang Fei's safety? She is a new mother and does not know how the pregnancy will affect her. If she's here with the Empress and the Crown Princess, they can easily guide her through it."

"His Majesty understands better than Wu Jian how grand the palace is. Wu Jian's Wang Fei does not have good fortune to live here" The Prince ignored the Empress and spoke only to the Emperor. "Wu Jian thanks his Majesty for his kindness, but Wu Jian's Wang Fei will never live here in the palace"

"Prince Jian" The Empress could no longer hold in her irritation."Must you force this Empress' hands? Jian, you are our most previous grandchild – our most precious Prince. We never forced you to do anything against your will, but with this matter, we will do what's best for the child"

Wu Jian cold eyes turned to look at the Empress.

"If Wu Jian has to, he will leave Wu Xi with Ruyi"

"Jian!"

"Royal Grandfather and Royal Grandmother have never forced this Wu Jian" Wu Jian voice was calm as still waters. "Let it remain that way"

Without another word, Wu Jian cupped his fist to the Emperor and left the Royal Hall. The Empress wanted to call him back but the Emperor stopped her with a slight lift of his hand.