45 - Ignorance

At the Li's Residence, the Marquess and his family stood in the main hall gawking at the seventeen solid gold treasure chests - each chest held more valuables than any of them have ever seen.

"His highness and Wang Fei hopes the Marquess is pleased with the gifts"

There was complete silence until Li Aifen rushed to her father side.

"F_ Father" She took hold of his arm. "You must find a way to make him mine_"

"Hush" Marquess snapped at his eldest daughter - not wanting her to speak further with the Duke's people present.

Standing behind the treasure chests was three dozen of Duke Haijin's men who looked more like soldiers that guards. Even the servant who lead the group of guards had a strong and intimidating aura to him. The Duke's people are in a completely different league from the Marquess' people. Seeing them and the treasures they have brought, Marquess Li wondered how powerful Duke Haijin really was. No one has ever been invited to the Duke's estate, but everyone have seen the large solid gold gates with the two guardian dragon statues outside the Duke's Resident. The gates and the dragon statues are clear indication of Duke Haijin's wealth.

"All of this is from Duke Haijin?"

A very beautiful woman in a pink dress robe suddenly spoke.

"The Duke and Wang Fei" The servant repeated in an unassuming tone.

"Wang Fei? My daughter?"

That was when the servant realized the beautiful woman in pink was the Duke's Wang Fei mother. Although her young age surprised him, he was careful not to let it show in his face. Instead, he bowed like any servant should.

"These treasures are gifts from the Duke" She boldly walked to the chest filled with rubies and touches the gems with delight. "My daughter has done well for herself"

"Enough" Marquess Li quickly ordered his own men. "Take these away and store them properly"

The Marquess' women watched in disappointment as the treasures were carried away.

"When will the Duke arrive?" The Marquess asks while his eyes track each chest.

It was clear the Marquess was more concern about the safety of the treasures than the arrival of his daughter and her husband.

"His highness and Wang Fei is on their way" The servant hid the smirk with his head bowed low. "They shall arrival any moment now"

"Good-good"

"Father!" Li Aifen stomped her foot with aggravation.

"Go and make sure you look presentable when the Duke is here"

Li Aifen's eyes gleamed with understand and rushed off, telling the maids to prepare her a bath. Her sisters follow suit, ordering their maids to prepare the best dress for them.

"I shall freshen up as well" The beautiful woman in pink smiles were unreadable. "It's been so long since I've seen my daughter"

As she walked calmly away, the rest of the Marquess' concubines rushed off to their own living quarters.

Ignorant fools.

Duke Haijin's men have all witness the Marquess' ignorance to his women schemes and plots. In silence, they wondered about Marquess Li's intelligence.