87 - One Hundred

"Princess Quan Yi"

I was eating red dates until the Crown Prince of Thonze started to speak to me. Prince Kham Leng's tent had been near Prince Wu Jian's tent so his voice was heard clearly. Looking over to see the foreign prince and his usual friendly smiles, I remained silent.

"Prince Quan Yi" Prince Kham Leng spoke as if he didn't see Prince Wu Jian cold glare. "I'm curious to hear your thoughts on yesterday painting"

It took me a moment to understand he was talking about the red painting.

"Yesterday painting...?"

"Yes" He smiled brightly at me. "What was the princess thought when she saw the painting?"

My thoughts?

"Is it not a war painting...?" I asked because I didn't understand his question.

I hadn't thought much of the painting except it had been beautifully drawn. To my surprise, the foreign prince unexpectedly laughed. Strangely, it didn't feel like he was laughing at me. It was like he was happy.

"Princess Quan Yi" Prince Kham Leng smiled softly. "If you ever visit Thonze, we will welcome you with open arms"

"My Wang Fei will never step foot in Thonze"

Prince Wu Jian cupped my chin and turned my face to look at him.

"Do not speak with strangers" Then he let go of my chin and ordered the guards. "Wang Fei is cold, lower the east curtain"

The guards quickly went to lower the curtain on my left side.

"Such a shame..."

I heard the foreign prince spoke when the curtain was completely lowered. Before I could contemplate further on the matter, a sudden long progression of palace maids and eunuchs appeared, each holding a tray of dishes.

"In honor of his Majesty birthday, Princess Wu Tian has personally prepared one hundred dishes for everyone to enjoy." A eunuch announced. "The first five dishes are called Hong, Lu, Bai, Hei, and Huang."

The maids and eunuchs then proceed to enter each tent to place the five dishes. I had been amazed to see the beautiful food laid out at the table. Deep red radish, green bitter melon, white lotus roots, black eggplants, and golden yellow corn – each dish had a beautiful rich color and aroma.

"Ruyi, try the lotus roots"

I loved lotus roots so happily accepted the bowl from the Prince.

"Is it good?"

I nodded. The lotus roots were cooked wonderfully with onions and tofu.

"Don't eat too much or you won't be able to enjoy the rest the dishes"

The Prince chuckled softly as he wiped the corner of my lips with his thumb. I couldn't help but blush when the Prince licked the same thumb that touched my lips. The Prince's eyes sparkled mischievously at me, making me blush even more. Luckily, the eunuch announced the second round of dishes – allowing me to escape from the Prince's seductive eyes.

For the entire afternoon, beautiful dishes were continuously brought forward for everyone to enjoy. It had been remarkable how each dish were different in taste, smell, and sight. For someone to think of one hundred different dishes, let everyone see the person's skills, talents, and diligences. For a Princess to personally think and make each dish, showed everyone her thoughtfulness for the Emperor and Empress.

After the hundred dishes was served, the Emperor smiled and called for Princess Wu Ting to step forward. The young Princess appeared in a modest yellow dress with a white smock tied around her waist, letting everyone know that she came directly from the royal kitchen. Many smiled at the charming sight and praised the princess for her fidelity toward the Emperor and Empress.

"Princess Wu Ting, you have done well. Every dish was wonderful"

"Wu Ting is happy that his majesty enjoyed the dishes she made"

"My Empress, how do you think we should award the young princess?"

Wu Ting kept her head low as the crowd listened with anticipation. The Emperor had previously awarded Li Ruyi a titled for a mere poem. For a second rank princess to personally prepared one hundred dishes, her award must be hundred times more.

"Princess Wu Ting has been devoted toward this Empress for many years..." The Empress voice was gentle. "His Majesty must take this into account"

Hearing the Empress' statement, Wu Ting heart beats with joy.

"Princess Wu Ting, your fidelity and grace, you will be given one hundred silk pearls, one hundred gold and jewels, one hundred gold thread fabrics, and the title Princess Jin Wu Ting – first rank."

A smile bloomed on Wu Ting's face as she went to her knees and bowed to the Emperor and Empress. Everyone clapped and congratulated the beautiful young princess for her accomplishment. 

No one noticed the quiet smile on Prince Wu Jian's face.