49 - Don't Touch

The woman went to Ruyi with her hands reaching out. Before she got too close, four guards stepped forward with their sword withdrawn. Frightened and shocked, she took several steps back. Everyone looked toward the young Duke to see an indifferent expression.

"What's the meaning of this?" The Marquess stood indignantly. "Call your guards back, this isn't_"

"Ruyi is my Wang Fei" The Duke spoke coolly. "How can anyone touch her without my permission?"

Ruyi's mother was startled by the statement and stared at the young Duke with a teary expression like she's been wronged. The Duke remained unsympathetic when facing her tears. He knows the game. Because she's beautiful, she believes that she can capture any man with some tears. The Marquess, after all, was captured because of her tears. If the Duke were to show her pity, she would think he was interested. With a smirk, he let her know without words that she was nothing. Startled by his cold knowing eyes, she looked away with shame.

"Are you saying that her mother, her family cannot even touch her?"

"That's a very interesting question Marquess" The Duke took his cup of tea and sipped it leisurely like he had all the time in the world. "I previously recalled the Marquess' words. Once a daughter is married off, her husband would be her family. Such wise words, how can this Duke not take to heart?"

The Duke set the cup back down and looked at the Marquess - eye to eye.

"I'm only doing the duty of a husband, which is protecting my wife"

"Are you implying that we are dangerous villains who would hurt her? She is my daughter"

The Duke's laughter fueled the Marquess' anger.

"A daughter you already given to this Duke" The Duke reminded. "She is no longer your responsibility. Ruyi is mine"

Those possessive words shook every woman heart to the core.

"You_"

The Marquess' words were cut off to Ruyi's mother sudden sorrowful cries.

"Please" Ruyi's mother tears fell flawlessly. "Please, can I hold my daughter just once? I have not seen her since she was married off... I miss her terribly"

"No" 

Her tears stopped short. She hadn't expected him to answer so decisively. There wasn't any hesitation, care or worries in his eyes or tone.

"Ruyi" She turned to Ruyi, believing her daughter will speak for her.

"Where is little brother?"

Ruyi's sudden question startled her. Everyone in the room was surprised because Ruyi hadn't uttered a word until now. Even the Duke looked curiously at Ruyi.

"Little brother?" Ruyi's mother covered her face and sob.

Seeing the act, Ruyi's heart went cold.

"Your little brother died" One of the sister spoke haughtily. "Just like you, he was a sick all the time - probably got infected by you"

"No" Ruyi's mother spoke weakly. "It's my fault. It's my entire fault"

Ruyi knew her mother's act to well. By blaming herself, no one would blame her. It's one of her mother ways. Seeing Marquess' eyes on her, Ruyi understood that he believed it was her fault. Because she had infected her baby brother with what she had. Closing her eyes, Ruyi felt empty. The baby brother she never knew. The baby brother she saw only a handful of time. The baby brother who she shared the same mother and father. She had been jealous of the baby believing that their mother will love him since he was a son. Ruyi had foolishly believed that the baby will be loved and treasured.

"Ruyi"

Ruyi opened her eyes to see her mother looking at her with stain tears eyes.

"Ruyi, you're all mother have now"

Sudden fear held her entire body immobile. Her mother needed her. She needed Ruyi for her personal gain.

"Ruyi"

The woman stepped forward but the sword stopped her path once more.

"Don't say this Duke did not warn anyone here" The Duke took hold of his Wang Fei's hand. "Don't touch my Wang Fei so casually, especially without my permission"

How can anyone be so possessive? How can he be so alluring as possessive as he was?

"What do you come here for?" The Marquess no longer held back his anger. "As my daughter's husband, you can even show respect to her father or mother_"

The Duke laughed again.

"Marquess Li, please don't be coy with me. We're not in court" The Duke crossed his legs while he held his Wang Fei's hand to his lips. "When do we need to show respect to one another"

"You_"

"And this Duke came here because of your previous complains" The Duke smirked. "Let's make this clear, if it's not for you being Ruyi's birth father, this Duke would not have come"

"You_"

The Marquess was losing against the Duke so he turned his rage toward the quiet Ruyi.

"Girl, do you let your husband speak to your father that way?"

Ruyi looked at Marquess with empty eyes. Marquess hadn't known how to deal with the Duke arrogance and had thought his youngest daughter would think to defend him as her father. Instead, he was met with her silence.

"Father is speaking to you" The eldest of the Marquess' son spoke up, unable to stand the insults. "How can you just sit quietly and say nothing while your mother is in tears and father is being insulted? Have the power and wealth blinded you? Have you forgotten who your family is?"

Ruyi eyes lifted once more toward her older half-brother. The Marquess' eldest son had glared at Ruyi for a moment until he realized her eyes were completely empty. Ruyi didn't understand why he was upset. Shame hit him. He had scolded her like an older brother to a younger sister. But did he have that right when he couldn't recall her name until recently?

"I see your son takes after you Marquess Li. I'm sure he'll make a nice little official one day"

The Marquess' eldest son turned pale seeing Duke's coldblooded smiles.

"You should teach him how the court works" The Duke's eyes were reflecting red – like a demon ready to kill. "If he speaks out of turn, his head will be lost"

The young man practically fell to his seat at the Duke's warning. If his younger brothers weren't around to stabilize him, he would have fallen out of his seat. Seeing how weak the Marquess' sons are, the Duke only smirked.

"Stand back"

No matter how arrogant the Duke was, it was still admirable to see how easily he could command his guards - like an experience warlord. The Marquess and his family watched the guards sheath their swords and returned to their positions behind the Duke.

"Ruyi" The Duke stood with his hand held out. "It's time for us to go"

In silence, Ruyi placed her small hand into his and stood beside him.