78 - Burn Her Hands

"If that is all, Wu Jian and his Wang Fei will take their seats"

Without waiting for the Emperor or Empress to respond, the Prince took my hand and led me away. I wondered why he was rushing to get away. Was it all right for us to leave without the Emperor's dismissal? Then again, I doubt anyone would stop the Prince.

"Bring my Wang Fei's gloves"

The Prince ordered as soon as we reached the tent with a silver and red flag. The open tent held a beautiful white stone table with two stone chairs. All around the tent was the Prince's personal guards and maids. With the Prince's order, Jumao came with a pair of white gloves. I watched as the Prince covered my pale cold hands with the gloves.

Afterward, the Prince sat me down and ordered the guards to carry over the stone container of hot charcoal closer. While I was kept warm, Jumao had several plates of snacks set up on the table. Startled at how quick everything was happening, the Prince placed a plate of warm moon cake in front of me. When I turned to thank him, I was confused to see that he wasn't looking at me. Instead, he was looking out at the open field. His expression was cold and hard.

Before I could read into the situation, the Crown Prince voice rang through the open field, welcoming all guests to celebrate the Great Emperor of Wu Xi's birthday. Loud cheers echoed throughout the field at the announcement.

The celebration soon began with four dozen beautiful dancers entering the center field. In our tent, I was nibbling on a moon cake while watching the colorful performance. It had been amazing to see how the beautiful dancers moved so fluidly. The curves of their bodies and the way their hands and feet flow like the wind was impressive. Because of my weak body, I could never move or bend like them, and so, I could only admire.

Suddenly the main dancer appeared - like a red fire bird flying into the center of the stage. Clad in red while others were in white, the stunning woman was like a siren, luring all the men's attention. The dress revealed her neck, shoulders, arms, stomach, waist, and legs. In the middle of winter, she dressed as if it was summer.

Just watching her made me shiver. Was she not cold? When the woman eyes flashed seductively, I noticed her attention was on the handsome Prince sitting beside me. I've seen the Prince's concubines giving similar smiles and looks.

While my thoughts started spin, the stunning dancer floated toward our tent. I was startled when she boldly danced before the Prince. Just when her hand reached to touch the Prince, my hand reflexively reached out to stop her. Her eyes flashed with surprised, and in turn, she slapped my hand away.

I was stunned at my own action. Why did I reach out like that?

"You dare touch my Wang Fei?"

The Prince's eyes went red while his voice dropped murderously. The woman immediately fell to her knees with fear. Before anyone could understand the situation, the Prince grabbed the woman's arm and dragged her to the burning charcoal.

Eyes closed tight, I covered my ears when her scream echoed through the field.