4 - Same Routine

My days at the Prince's home were no different than my days at the Marquess's. No one paid attention to me – not even the maids or servants. I was left alone in the small empty quarter to live in solitary. To pass my days, I read the few books which I've managed to take with me. When meals were served, I would find it outside my door. A maid would quickly come and go like she was afraid to see me. I never tried to talk or ask for her name. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's the same maid each time the meals are delivered. I only see a shadow rushing in and out.

It was clear that no one wanted to deal with me and I was fine being left alone.

Weeks come and go, and I thought my life will continue on quietly just like that – forgotten. Just when I've gotten used to the quiet life, a maid told me behind the closed door that the Prince had asked for my presence in the Mall Hall. She left as quickly as she came. I was confused but knew I had to go or else there would be troubles.

I only wish that he'll allow me a peaceful life – even if there was no one but me in it.

Somehow, I managed to find the main hall. Because no one guided me there, I was lost for a while, therefore, made the Prince waited. When the servant announced my arrival, my body shook to the sudden loud bang. A fist smashed against the stone table and cracked it. I never got a good look of the tall man in the center of the room when I bowed my head low. He was angry because it took me so long to get there. My mother was the same way when I kept her waiting.

I heard soft giggles and glanced up to see several beautifully dressed women – the Prince's concubines. One was trying to calm the angry man as she pressed her whole body to him while stroking his chest sweetly. My eyes were on the bottom of his dark red shoes and robes that had gold embroidery of a dragon.

"You're quite bold to make me wait"

His voice was deep and fierce like the heat of the sun. I knew better to speak so kept silent. I learned as a child to never speak when the person is angry. If you can take the insults and the shouts, they will eventually be tired and dismiss you. But everyone was different. The Prince saw my silence as defiance. When he suddenly grabbed my arm, I held back a cry at the sharp pain.

Forced to look up at him, I saw for the first time his dark gray eyes – color of the rain storm. Then to my confusion, as quickly as he grabbed me, he let me go as if my skin had burned him. Looking down at my trembling arm, I knew that a bruise was left behind.