80 - Provoke

By the end of the music performance, guests begin to present gifts to Emperor Huizhong. Many nobles and officials from Wu Xi and neighboring countries offered the finest things in the World - from gold, jewels, and silk to horses, swords, and armors.

"His highness Crown Prince Kham Leng of Thonze"

The eunuch announced as a tall man in green and gold attire stepped forward. Instantly, everyone took noticed of the black tattoo of a scorpion on the whole left side of this face. What had fascinated people was the foreign prince was beautiful with sharp, clean features. Why did he mark his perfect face?

"On behalf of Thonze, Kham Leng will like to gift a painting to Emperor Huizhong"

Tall, well-built, and confident, the Crown Prince of Thonze had an aura parallel to Prince Wu Jian. When he smiled made many young maiden's heart fluttered - that is until the long ten feet painting was unraveled, causing their heart to rose up to their throats. Startled gasps spread throughout the banquet field as the painting revealed death, blood, and violence. Only deep red ink was used.

"What's the meaning of this Prince Kham Leng?"

Many of the nobles and officials of Wu Xi were offended by the painting. For their Emperor to receive such a gruesome painting as a birthday gift was an insult. For a foreign Crown Prince to give such a gift is unthinkable.

"Meaning?" Prince Kham Leng's expression held its usual friendliness. "Is it not a good painting? I have spent days painting this"

Prince Kham Leng painted it himself? His statement surprised everyone.

"What does Prince Wu Jian thinks of my painting?"

Suddenly, the foreign prince turned toward tent with the silver and red flag.

"Kham Leng heard the Prince of Wu Xi is a man of strength and greatness. His action earlier has opened this Crown Prince's eyes. Surely he would find my painting acceptable"

Everyone held their breath. No one was foolish enough not to understand that the foreign prince was using his smiles and flowery words to provoke the hot-blooded Prince Wu Jian. They had expected to see Prince Wu Jian ready to kill; instead, they fell over their seat at the sight of Prince Wu Jian doting on his Wang Fei. He is watching his Wang Fei eating pastries.

They're not even paying attention to their surroundings!

Emperor Huizhong chuckles brought people focus away from the couple.

"Crown Prince of Thonze has talent in painting"

No one could read Emperor Huizhong's smiles.

"Although the painting is lacking something..." Emperor Huizhong gave a thoughtful expression as he studied the painting. "A good painting must have a good poem"

"Of course. Of course." Prince Kham Leng nodded his agreement. "But regretfully, Kham Leng is not good with words so cannot fulfill the Emperor Huizhong's advice."

"Is that so?" Emperor Huizhong mused and then looked toward his grandson to see him still focusing on his Wang Fei. "Prince Wu Jian, why don't you enlighten us with a poem?"

Again, everyone held their breath when Prince Wu Jian lifted his eyes to look at Emperor Huizhong before he finally regarded the foreign prince.

"The Prince of Thonze is good with painting. This Prince of Wu Xi is good with swords." Wu Jian turned back to Ruyi to wipe the crumbs from her cheek. "Like the Prince of Thonze, Wu Jian is not good with words"

How are they not good with words? The questions float wryly throughout the banquet field.