19 - Denied Kiss

When the doctor came back with a small bowl of red liquid, I could see the Prince hesitation. The mixture of 5 poisonous flowers would make anyone hesitate.

"Duke Haijin. This subject is willing to forfeit his life if this does not ease the mistress pain"

Only then did the Prince take the bowl. His expression was hard as he stared at the bowl. I waited quietly until the Prince finally scoops the deep red liquid and brought the spoon to my lips. I drank the liquid slowly. The bitter and sour taste made it difficult to swallow.

"Do you feel better?"

After finishing the medicine, I felt better. The aching in my stomach had numbed and the headache was clearing. Breathing slowly, I soon noticed the Prince arms were around me.

"Yes" I couldn't stop myself from seeking warmth in his arms.

"Thank you" I turned to smile softly at the doctor.

"You don't think to thank him" The Prince roughly cupped my chin and forced my face back to him. "You need to thank me"

He leaned in for a kiss, but I quickly covered his lips with a hand. The scowl on his face made me nervous.

"Duke Haijin, while the medicine has no negative affect on the lady, it is poisonous to others" The doctor quickly explained. "I advise that you wait a few hours"

The Prince heard the doctor and his scowl instantly turned into a smile.

"You're worried about me" He cupped cheek and brushed his thumb over my lips.

I just didn't want to get him sick. He had helped me after all.

"Rest" He pressed a kiss on my forehead and whispered. "I'll come back and we'll have a meal together when you wake"

The Prince helped me back down onto the bed. Before he left, the Prince ordered the maids look after me carefully. Only when the Prince left the room did I close my eyes. This time, I slept peacefully with no pain.