39 - Moon or Sun

True to his words, the Prince sat us at a table closest to the lake. Coincidently, our seats were also the furthest from the royal family. With the Prince's status, shouldn't his seat be closer to the royal family? Looking at the Empress Dowager and the Emperor, I wondered if it was proper for the Prince to sit so far.

"Do you prefer that view instead? We can move closer if you want to gaze at the sun"

I was startled by the Prince prickly words. Feeling confused, I watched the Prince drink the cup of wine. He was upset and I didn't know why.

"Instead of the sun, Ruyi prefers the moon" I said softly, feeling troubled by the Prince's mood.

"Is Ruyi sure she prefers the moon?"

I look saw that Prince's scowl had faded.

"Everyone always wants the sun and not the moon"

What is he trying to tell me?

"Ruyi doesn't understand what the Prince is saying..."

When he suddenly touched my cheek, I looked up at him.

"Does Ruyi prefer the Prince or the Emperor?"

Why is he asking such a strange question?

"Ruyi, I want to hear your answer"

"Ruyi prefer the Prince"

I have always preferred the moon to the sun. I only know the Prince and not the Emperor. The moon and the Prince had been the clear choice.

"Ruyi"

Suddenly, the Prince leaned his head down and pressed his lips against my ear.

"Your answers please me" He whispered hotly. "This Prince will reward Ruyi tonight"

I blushed, while he chuckled. Hiding my embarrassment, I turned away from the Prince and focused on something else.

The view of the moon and stars in the sky reflecting on the mirror lake is much more powerful than words within the books. Through books, I can imagine how everything looked, but there was also the faint smell of flowers - the sound of conversations all around - and the how warm the breeze was as it flow through the lake. It felt as if time stopped at the endless sight of stars, making one wonders just how far the world goes. How far could a person go in one life time?

Just while I was pondering, the Prince sharp clearing of throat cleared my random thoughts.

"Look enough?" He said the same time he set the cup of wine down.

The Prince wasn't speaking to me. I followed his line of sight and saw how everyone was either looking down at the ground or up in the sky. Their actions appeared force. The Prince smirked before he picked his cup back up. Seeing that I wasn't the one who upset him, I returned my attention back to the lake and enjoyed the scenery once more.

"Ah"

The Prince turned to me at my sudden surprised call.

"Shooting stars" The Prince chuckled softly when I pointed up to the sky.

"The Prince has seen this before?"

"Once or twice in Wu Xi"

My eyes were transfixed to the beautiful ray of lights shooting across the midnight sky.

"Ruyi read about shooting stars... it said that when a star dies, a hundred others will be born with its death..." I said softly while I continue to watch the sky. "Death for a star is just the beginning..."

"In Wu Xi, you will be able to see the stars, a million times more than here"

"Really?" I couldn't contain my excitement and smiled at him. "A million times more? The Prince isn't lying?"

"Never" He suddenly took hold of my hand and held it to his chest. "I will never lie to you Ruyi. Once we're in Wu Xi, you will see"

I was thrilled at the thought of seeing the whole sky covered in millions of beautiful stars. What kind of sight would that be like?

"A million times more"

I smiled up into the sky, imagining what it would be like.