69 - The Masked Man

It was another usual afternoon. I was having a mid-snack while I was reading in the library. Everything had been quiet until loud shouting rupture the peace. Startled by the sudden uproar, I turned to Jumao who had a calm but irritated expression.

"Who dare to disturb the Wang Fei while she's reading?"

                Jumao glared at one of the servant nearby.

"Go find out what is going on out there"

                The servant quickly left the library while Jumao continued to set the plate of light snacks on the end table beside the lounge chair.

"Wang Fei, after the light snack, shall I have the doctor prepare your medication?"

                I nodded softly while eating one of the delicious rice cake. Before I was able to get another cake, the servant rushed back into the library.

"Wang Fei" The servant bowed low and spoke nervously. "It's the Empress' guards..."

                Empress? Why would the Empress guards be here? Jumao asked the servant the question floating in my mind. The servant answered that the Empress had wanted to see Prince Wu Jian's Wang Fei. The Empress' guards were to escort me into the palace.

"His highness Prince Wu Jian's Wang Fei cannot leave the estate without the Prince's consent." Jumao spoke calmly without any arrogance in her tone. "Informed her majesty guards to return"

                Was it okay for them to turn away the Empress' guards? When the servant rushing out to rely the message, I looked at Jumao who did not seem nervous or bothered by the situation. Seeing that the old woman was not afraid, I continued to eat in silence.

                Suddenly, four men dressed in golden armor slammed through the front double doors. I had only a glimpse of the four men and the dozens others outside the broken double doors when Jumao used her body to shield me while another maid rushed over to my head covered with a silk veil.

"How dare you barge into Prince Wu Jian's estate?" Jumao spoke angrily while she continued to stand in front of me. "His highness will have your head for this trespass"

                The guards only smirked at the old woman as if her threats meant nothing to them.

"The Empress invites the lady to enter the palace. Lady Li, please come with us"

                I didn't respond. I didn't need to with Jumao telling them that the Prince's Wang Fei will not leave without the Prince's consent.

"If Lady Li does not come with us, then we will be forced to be impolite toward the lady"

                But before anyone could moved, a shadow fell from above. A tall figure wearing dark gray robe and mask have a sword against the leading guard's neck. Even through the mask, the lead guard could see the empty eyes of a killer. With a lift of his hand, the other guards stepped back.

"You dare go against the Empress?"

"Fool" The masked man voice was serene – scarily with no emotion. "You should worry about the demon Prince instead... Will he let you live after this... Will he let your family live"

                At those words, the guard's eyes widened. Fear spread to all the guards.

"If he kills you and everyone you know" The masked man continues in an empty voice. "Do you think she can stop him? Do you think she'll protect you?"

                No. The Empress cannot stop the Prince. She would not protect them even if they were only following her orders. From the start, their lives were lost.

                I became dumbfound when the men suddenly went to their knees, begging for forgiveness. How is it that they went from tigers to cats within seconds? And why are they begging me for forgiveness? I was never angry to begin with.

"Enough" Jumao sneered. "Leave immediately"

                But the guards knew once they leave, Prince Wu Jian will not let them go. The only chance they have left is to beg the Prince Wu Jian's Wang Fei. Even though they're not sure if the rumor of the Prince dotting on his Wang Fei was true or not, they still have to try.

                Meanwhile, I was uncomfortable at the sight of grown men groveling and begging like this.

"It's already too late to beg for forgiveness" Jumao was as merciless like her master, the Prince. "Leave and report back to Empress. See if she's able to protect you"

                Desolated at the old woman's words, the guards soon left.

"Forgive us Wang Fei" Jumao bowed her head. "To allow your peace be disturb is Jumao's failure"

                Again, I was surprised. Why are all the servants and maids kneeling? Why are they afraid?

"Can I take the veil off?"

                My question made the silence more awkward.

"Tea" I pointed to the tea cup that hadn't been filled. "Can I have more?"

                Jumao gave me a light smile and poured the tea. While everyone let out a relieve sigh, I went back to the snacks.

"Ah"

                I have forgotten to thank the masked man.

"Is something wrong Wang Fei?"

                Looking around the room, I wondered where the masked man disappeared to.