104 - Extra Precaution

The Empress' Palace was the personification of prosperity. Everything was built with the highest quality wood. Every walls, pillars, doors, and windows were covered in gold and silver. Every furniture were made with the finest porcelain, silk, or glass. Everything were intricately made to show the wealth and power of Wu Xi Empress.

"Prince Wu Jian and Princess Quan Yi has arrived"

I had been lost at the sight of the entrance until the eunuch's voice brought my attention back. The Prince had not let go of my hand since we entered the palace grounds and continued to hold onto it when we entered the Empress' private quest quarter.

Upon entrance, I saw the royal family - from Emperor and Empress to the Crown Prince, Crown Princess, and Prince Hao Ran. Even Princess Wu Ting and Madam Muyang was sitting nearby.

"Wu Jian greets the Emperor and Empress"

I was about to go to my knees and give the proper greeting when the Prince grab hold of my arm, stopping me. At the same time, the Empress and Crown Princess both called out "stop". Confused, I froze in place and wondered why they panicked.

"You're with child. From now on, you do not need to bow or kneel." The Empress ordered. "Come, take your seat"

With that, the Prince sat me down in the seat closest to the Empress.

"Someone get a pillow"

Before I sat, the Empress ordered the palace maids to setup the cushion on the stone chair. I was grateful for that since the weight of my stomach have made sitting uncomfortable - especially on hard surfaces.

"Are you cold?" The Prince asked softly.

Before I could answered, the Empress gave orders for a blanket. I barely blinked and my lap was already covered with the softest sheep blanket. The palace maids then brought me a cup of tea which the Prince took. It did not surprised me when he stick a silver needle into the tea. He does it for anything I drink or eat. Ever since he found out that I was pregnant, the Prince took extra precaution.

"Careful" Only after the Prince find the tea safe that he handed me the cup.

"How have you been feeling?" The Empress doesn't seem to be surprised by the Prince's action while she asked. "Any discomfort or pain? Have you been eating well? How are you resting at night? Have there been any movements?"

I did my best to answer the Empress' questions, while the Prince sat quietly beside me. It amusing to find the Empress as intense as the Prince when it comes to the child. The two were truly similar in character - strong headed and assertive.