48 - The Marquess' Flowers

Just as maid returned with another cup of tea, a group of women burst into the main hall. It had been so fast and sudden that two youngest women, Marquess Li's daughters, fell flat on their faces before the Duke. They screamed angrily at being pushed and demand who had done it. The Marquess sat tiredly in his seat while his sons tried to defuse the situation with the women.

The hall was filled with noises, but the Duke looked calm as ever while he took the cup from the nervous maid. Leaning back, he watched the appearances of all the flowers of the Marquess' Residence. Every woman was completely dolled up in dresses which exposed their best asset - their bounty breasts, the curves of their waist, their long smooth legs, and their swan neck. Their hair was styled as if they were going to a royal banquet instead of being at the comfort of their home. Amused, the Duke drank his tea and watched as the butterflies fluttering angrily about.

"Ruyi" The Duke's smooth, deep alluring voice made all women froze in place. "Your family is quite entertaining"

The women flushed with embarrassed. They have made a complete fool of themselves in front of the one person they wanted to impress. Trying to calm their racing hearts, the women watched as the beautiful man set his cup of tea down. The Duke casually prompted his elbow on the arm of the wooden chair and leaned his chin on his fist while looking at each woman - one at a time. Enthralled by such arrogance and confidence, the women blushed as soon as those dark gray eyes land on them.

"Hmmm, the Marquess' estate carries many types of flowers" The Duke grinned playfully at the Marquess. "This Duke is envious"

Although it was clear to the Marquess that the demon Duke was mocking him, his daughters and concubines believed they were being complimented. Hopes filled the Marquess daughters' heart. They stared hard at the Duke, hoping that his dark eyes will fall back on them a second time. Instead, the Duke turned his attention to the young woman sitting beside him. Ruyi, his Wang Fei, had been sitting quietly from the beginning. No one had notice her until now.

"Ruyi" The Duke lazily touched Ruyi's cheek with the crook of his index finger. "It seems we're not properly dress for dinner. Silly woman, why did you not tell me Marquess Li's customs before we came?"

Everyone, again, blushed with embarrassment. Looking at the Duke's Wang Fei modest dress, the woman could see that they were overdressed. Sitting there quietly with the untouched tea cup in her hand, Ruyi wore a simple green dress that covers every part of her body - her neck, arms, hands and legs. Nothing was exposed but still, the dress fit her beautifully. Her long hair was braided to one side and her makeup was minimal. If anyone were to compare the Marquess' women to the Duke's Wang Fei, it would be comparing harlots to a princess.

"Ruyi should be punished" The Duke mischievously pinched Ruyi's nose.

Ruyi didn't respond. Her empty eyes only look down at the tea cup. Seeing her silence, the Duke smiles soften. Every woman watched with envy as the Duke touched his Wang Fei's cheek tenderly.

"Now that everyone is present" The Duke continues to stroke Ruyi's cheek, keep his attention on her as he spoke. "Wu Jian and Ruyi greets the Marquess and his family"

No one responded, but the Duke didn't seem to care and kept his focused on his Wang Fei.

"Ruyi"

At the sound of the sugary voice, the Duke noticed the tremor in Ruyi's hand. Before the tea spilled, he reached took the cup from her hands. When Duke saw the beautiful woman barely pass thirty, stepped forward, he knew that she was Ruyi's mother. And despite being a mother, the woman dressed as if she was a courtesan in pink and red. No one could read the Duke's expression but his eyes flickered with surprise.

It was truly a miracle that the lovely Ruyi remain so pure with such a woman as her mother.

They say the apple does not fall far from the tree. But Ruyi fell far from the other side of the world - away from that tree.