91 - Loophole

When Wu Jian and Ruyi finally came out to meet the Empress, the regal woman sat alone in the in the Main Hall with only her personal eunuch by her side. None of her usual group of lady escorts or guards was there.

"Wu Jian and his Wang Fei greets her Majesty"

Wu Jian announced as he walked in holding onto Ruyi's hand. Empress Wenqian's expression was calm and quiet as she watched the couple walking toward her, hand-in-hand. Even now, the Empress did not understand why her handsome grandson was fixated on the pale young woman. She knew she had misjudged Li Ruyi's character when the young woman wrote that poem. She could see that Li Ruyi was not arrogant or spoil like the rumor said. Li Ruyi had appeared quiet and emotionless – almost aloof even. Still, Empress Wenqian could not find any outstanding qualities or features that Li Ruyi possessed which would cause her grandson to be this infatuated. Her grandson has always been particular with the people he allowed at his side, especially women. Li Ruyi was not the type of woman her grandson would normally be interested in.

"What honors did Wu Jian make for Her Majesty personally come to his estate?" Wu Jian spoke with obvious sarcasm. "And to come without Her Majesty's attendants"

"I came as your grandmother, not as the Empress"

Wu Jian's brow rose with amusement but did no refute the Empress' words.

"Sit, the both of you"

After they sat, Jumao came and served the tea. Empress Wenqian watched quietly as her grandson personally took the cup and placed it in Li Ruyi's hand. The young man never showed anyone the same care or affection.

"Jian, I will not be against you being with Li Ruyi"

Wu Jian did not respond. Instead, the Empress watched as he nonchalantly drank his tea before he look at her. He was waiting for her to continue.

"If you agree to marry Ting"

Ruyi's hand shook as she carefully put the cup of tea down.

"Her Majesty is joking" Wu Jian wasn't fazed when he also put his cup down. "How can Wu Jian marry a first rank princess?"

"Your marriage to Li Ruyi will have to be annulled. You'll be considered unwedded and can marry Ting as your Wang Fei"

"And Ruyi?"

"You can have her in secret"

Silence filled the air before Wu Jian coldly chuckled.

"It seems Her Majesty found the loophole to the problem"

The Empress did not respond. Her expression remained calm and unaffected by Wu Jian's jeer.

"Unfortunately your majesty, Wu Jian has no intention in having his marriage with Ruyi annulled nor does he care to marry that little princess the Empress chose"

"Do not force me to make the order"

"As what?" Wu Jian gave an empty smile. "As a grandmother or as the Empress?"

Empress Wenqian slammed her palm on the table and stood. Her eyes flashed with anger. Before any argument could start between the Empress and the Prince, Ruyi suddenly fainted.

"Ruyi!"

Wu Jian caught her before she hit the floor.

"Jumao, get the doctor!"

Empress Wenqian was alarmed when Wu Jian carried away the pale woman away.

Moments later, the unconscious Ruyi was lying in bed while the doctor checked her pulse.

"What's wrong with my Wang Fei? Why did she faint?"

The old doctor covered Ruyi's wrist under the blanket before he stood with uncertainty on his face. It was clear that he was hesitating to give the answer.

"Tell me!"

"Wang Fei is with child..."

Those words brought nothing but pain to Wu Jian.