88 - Favorable & Unfavorable Consequences

"Your majesty... why..."

Empress Wenqian's calm expression was hiding her troubled emotion.

"Is it not what she wanted?"

Emperor Huizhong's smile held an indecipherable guise. Both the Empress and Emperor look at the young princess kowtowing before them with joy and happiness. Everyone could see the princess joy for her new prestige rank.

"Your majesty..." The Empress' voice held hesitation.

"Find her a suitable partner"

The Empress could not refute the Emperor's order.

Meanwhile, in the red and silver tent, Prince Wu Jian was watching the happy Princess with a slight smirk on his face.

"Jian..."

Ruyi had took noticed that the Prince beside her was pleased. Before she thought any further, Wu Jian took hold of her hand and held it gently.

"You've eaten quite a lot" Wu Jian glanced up at Jumao. "Bring Wang Fei some tea"

Ruyi felt a bit confused but accepted the warm cup of tea that Jumao served. While she took a sip, she noticed Princess Wu Ting was looking at their tent. The Princess was looking at Wu Jian before her eyes landed on Ruyi. Seeing sparking joyful eyes, Ruyi felt a cold chill run up her spine. Ruyi would have dropped the cup in her hand if Wu Jian didn't catch it in time. When Wu Jian took Ruyi's cold hand and brought it to his smiling lips, Ruyi was afraid to look back at the Princess.

Wu Ting's smile was filled with happiness when she received the new prestige rank. She had worked so hard in order to gain the Emperor and Empress' favor, and now, she succeeded. With the first ranked title as a princess, she has more status than Li Ruyi. With her status, she will be able to marry the first ranked Prince Wu Jian. Princess Jin Wu Ting, as a first ranked princess will only be matched with someone equal to her. And in Wu Xi, no one but Prince Wu Jian holds equal rank. Wu Ting was confident that the title will gain her Prince Wu Jian's Wang Fei's position. Li Ruyi, at best, will only be second.

It wasn't until three days after the end of the banquet that Wu Ting realized the costs to the new rank. When Madam Muyang was released from Prayer Hall, she was stunned to find out what had happened during the three-day banquet. Unlike everyone else in the country, Madam Muyang was horrified when she heard her daughter was promoted from second rank to first rank princess.

She immediately went to her daughter living quarters and found the young woman beaming with joy. Wu Ting was laughing as the eunuchs brought in many of the Emperor's gifts.

"Ting-Ting!"

"Mother!" Wu Ting beamed her happy smile. "You're here. Come see all the gifts bestowed by his Majesty"

"Ting-Ting!"

Wu Ting had been so deliriously happy that she completely missed her mother's anxious expression.

"Ting-Ting, what have you done?"

Only when Madam Muyang sharply grabbed Wu Ting arms that the young princess saw the panic in her mother's face.

"Mother, why_"

"Ting-Ting, why didn't you think things clearly? You have never been so muddle headed before"

"Mother?"

"Ting-Ting, a first rank princess can only match with someone equal to her"

"Yes, only Prince Wu Jian_"

"Ting-Ting" Madam Muyang shook her daughter. "He has to be unwedded! If he's not the Crown Prince or the Emperor, no one can marry a first rank princess if he already has a wife"

Wu Ting's heart slammed against her chest, causing a sharp pain.

"B_ But she's only a 3rd rank"

"With the Emperor's words, she has been recognized as Prince Wu Jian's Consort, his Wang Fei."

"Impossible!" Wu Ting screamed. "I have the higher status!"

"Ting-Ting, from the beginning, you already have the higher status. You didn't need to_"

"I'm still a first rank princess, His Majesty can still_"

"The Palace Laws cannot be changed" Madam Muyang said painfully. "Ting-Ting... We didn't want that Li Ruyi to have the first rank position because it would prevent Prince Wu Jian from marrying anyone else... But you shouldn't covet the first rank position either because it would prevent you from ever marrying Prince Wu Jian"

Wu Ting shook her head while angry tears begin to fall.

"Ting-Ting..."

"I_ I don't want the position!" Wu Ting screamed. "Take all these gifts back!"

"Ting-Ting..."

Madam Muyang painfully watched her precious daughter crying in tears as she tossed the gifts out the doors. It was too late. Madam Muyang understood that an Emperor's words cannot be revoked.