11 - Bruised

When I woke up, it was already dark outside. The small room was lit with candles.

"Mistress, if you're ready, your meals are ready to be served"

I was startled by the voice and turned to see two maids standing timidly nearby. While they help me sit up, I felt the throb on my neck and as I touched it. The ache brought memory of the Prince tight grip on my neck.

"Mistress?" They repeated nervously.

My throat hurts so all I could do is nod softly. Once they fixed my hair and dress, they helped me over to the table where a few dishes were prepared. I was glad to see tofu and porridge because of my sore throat. After I finished the meal, the maids prepared me a bath. I don't remember the last time I had a warm bath. With such a warm bath, I was able to sleep peacefully that night.

The following morning, I woke up feeling better but the bruise on my neck became more prominent against my pale while skin. While it was red and purple last night, it was dark purple and black today. It looked scary but there was no pain – just slight aching.

On the other hand, the maids saw the nasty bruise while helping me dress. I could see the fear in their eyes and wondered why they were so afraid? It wasn't like it was them who were hurt.

"Don't leave your room until you're told!"

As soon as I came into the dining hall, the Prince was angry. Everyone was frightened by his temper while I was shaking inside. This is why I should just stay in my room. While I head back to my room, the maids followed behind me in tears. I didn't understand why they were crying. The one the Prince yelled at was me.