-1-

Amata's POV:

I'm Amata Hunter, and I am not yet an adult since I am just 17. I live with my father away from the wars going on for the land... A stupid war for resources.

This place is not the richest. We are lucky to have brick houses and peaceful with not much hate.

All those fleeing the war came to this place, after all, and we made do with what we had, but compared to what I heard people describe their homelands, we were destitute here. Most here were rogues of their races, after all, deserters that fled the war.

I liked it here, though, since I was free to do as I wished, unlike if Dad had remained in the were-creatures lands, I'd already be conscripted at my age.

Here, I am free to look as how I naturally was, even that they would have wanted to change.

With my bright red hair, I'd have been discriminated against in the were-creatures lands, even if my dad was the stereotypical black-haired wolf. I inherited this from my mom, whom I never met, sadly. I keep it shoulder length and in a ponytail at times when it is getting in my eyes was a problem, but I mostly left it free to do whatever it wanted. My eyes are golden but slits like cats, so maybe mom was a werecat. I do have well-defined muscles for my age, but that's being a were-creature. Even the elderly people look buff.

Even with all the people around me, I am still so different. When I was young, I amused myself by making theories as to why, and the only one I remember is this one: That I am a forbidden lovechild.

Because the bright red hair screams vampire blood along with the small fangs that came with it, the golden eyes are an angel trait only, a werewolf by blood too because of my natural strength and endurance that comes with it and werecat from my flexibility and agility. I am told I act like a demon because I always do what my heart wants and also because I can touch fire without being burnt by it. I also have ears that aren't completely round with a soft point, which is elvish blood... I am also told I have the talent of a dwarf by dwarves themselves when it comes to creating with metal and the bad temper of a dragon when my stuff is taken.

I am amused that young me theorized I was from all races, but it is just my true parents that are so mixed, but I don't care since dad will always be the one dad I love. I most likely would tell my true parents to fuck off if they ever came to try to take me back.

It is a stupid theory, but kids like it, so I guess I kept it in mind because of that, tho I can dream, no? It would be fantastic; the coolest would be being a part dragon, those mythical beasts that hoard gold and breathe fire make all dream after all, but I am already enough of a sore thumb with these eyes and hair as vampires and angels kind are not that close so it isn't easy for them to meet.

I am wearing oak brown shorts. I used a leather belt with it and up top a green thingy I forgot the name of... It was missing the stomach area reaching my lower ribs, too short to be called a T-shirt.

I was lucky Dad had taken me to the town's mage when I was younger. The mage put some magic spell on me, which was supposed to magically make the clothes I wore... Well, magical. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but I don't stress because it might be dangerous since all or most were-creatures have this sort of spell cast on them here. I wonder if those of the were-creatures lands would or now.

That was done for when I'd be old enough to shift into my wolf form this year, though it still didn't happen. Dad says it will be before I turn 18, but I'm wondering... Did I even inherit that ability? I might never shift... No, be positive!

Since I had yet to shift, I had weapons: two daggers, one on each of my hips, and a bow on my back in a quiver.

I sometimes hated how I was so different from everyone because some of the more hateful people called me a human (that's an insult in her world, not an actual race) 

It hurts since it is as if you called a wolf furless, a bitch, brainless, and a whore at the same time, and that's not even as bad as being called a human is..... It is primarily the misses that do this still because they are jealous since I have bigger boobs than most of them if we compare and that I don't need to do shit for the attention of the opposite gender even tho I don't want the male beings to gaze upon me buuuuuuut since the misses hate me and my only love is now married I'm stuck with being alone and free to do shit!

I was waiting on the outskirts of the town for my father to come here after work so that we could go hunt as he promised me. Out in the Lakewood forest, it would be a whole day of walking to get there, but I was excited, making me fiddle with the glove I only wore when I planned to use the bow..... I wouldn't want to cut my fingers if I pulled on the string too hard, would I?

 I wouldn't want to cut my fingers if I pulled on the string too hard, would I?

I looked up from my hands when I heard a familiar walk.

"You are late," I said, looking off ahead at the fields around the town. They made food, but not enough for everyone. This place was poor since it ran on a self-made council with made-up laws with nothing as perfect as in the tales I heard from the people talking about their homeland.

"Aars as sharp as ever, I see," Dad said in a stern but somehow smooth tone as I turned around to face him.

Wolves tend to have a high body temperature. That's why I only wear what I do when it's not winter and why Dad is only in a pair of pants currently. You can see his muscles under that layer of body hair on his chest and arms. He had a trimmed down and full beard, his jaw square, brown hair cut short, and eyes dark brown.

"Well, yeah, I wanna leave early, thank you very much... Hey, Dad?"

"Hmmm? What is it, pup?"

"Do you think I'm a human?" He hugged me gently at my question; I must have looked sad or something.

"Whoever called you that is an idiot, don't believe them, never do."

"Alright..."

"Come on, let's go hunting, shall we?"

"Sure!"

If only I'd have known the following day meant the start of something on a huge scale and the end of something significant.