-103-

Amata's pov:

"Fortis."

I didn't expect to see him so soon or... If I'm being honest, see him at all, I had little hope for both of us making it out alive from this place but I'm happy I was proven wrong.

"Yup and not only me, look who I found." I waved his hand to point behind him and I followed with my eyes.

"Girls." I got too my feet and ran over kinda knocking the two kidnapped girls from our team over, an arm around each. "Oh my goddess!"

"Hi." Aura chocked out before I let go of her so she could breath.

I looked in horror, she was missing a finger, her left forearm wasn't in line the whole way and the tip of her ears were cut off.

"Aura... Custos..." Custos had old bandages all over and some were bloody, I could see a few uncovered cuts, bite marks and burns.

"She did it." Custos muttered before I could ask and glared at the corps of the demon woman and stood up, walked over and threw her off the bridge after handing his blade back, Fortis snuck up on both of us because we were concentrated on each other only in that fight. 

"Fortis stop!" I grabbed his arm as I saw Deus and Dea finally freed from the shadows and he faced them with the dagger raised, I slowly collected mines and helped the girls up, arm around Custos after.

"What?"

"They are friends, they helped me get here and live long enough to find you guys."

"Hello!" Dea said with a wave.

"Are you alright Amata?" Fortis asked, gently poking my side making me flinch.

"Keep from poking me if you clearly see a wooden stick inside of me, I could poke that bandaged eye of yours but you wouldn't be happy either."

"As much as I want to hug it out with you Amata but like we should get out of here before celebrating." Custos sighed as Fortis and I glared at each other ready to fight verbally like we always did.

"She is right, remember the soul devourer it must be close by now so we should run." Deus said.

"Anyone that can't run?" No one but Dea who was already being carried raised their hands. "Girls you have your weapons or we need to go get them?"

"I have my stuff." Aura said. "Fortis found them while scouting around."

"My dagger's blade is snapped in half but still usable" Custos added on.

"Then lets go, Deus you know the way out lead the way and hurry."

We followed, Fortis being the one to kill the few demons on our way since I was more or less out of commission.

"Wait this is not good." Fortis said. "This is the door I got in from, the demonic bird flock is still out there I'm sure." He put his ear to the door. "Yeah I hear them."

"This is the only way." Deus said. "Take Dea, I can hold them at bay with my flames." He did as told. "The rest of you stay in the front and just run."

"Guys we have trouble coming so decide quick!" Aura yelled and we all looked back.

"Fuck, the devourer!" I yelled when it looked at us from the other side of the hallway and started sprinting.

I shoved the door open, running with everyone following, soon the sound of the bird chirping picked up and the big mass also was after us.

I saw bright and long flame shoot at the birds but they still crashed, giving their lives to try to kill us... They crashed in the bridge.

You could hear cracks before parts of the bridge collapsed and started to fall.

"Not again!!" I yelled, remembering the falling bridge of the vampire queen's castle's secret escape route.

I tripped.

"Amata!"

"Don't slow!" I stood up and ran after them, now a few meters behind and I could hear the devourer close by and a terrible thought passed by my head, even if we escape it will follow, we need to stop it from doing that.

I looked around and my eyes landed on the one arrow I fired when we entered this place and it stuck into the stone of the bridge on the path I took... If I get it.

"Continue running!" I stopped and turned back. "Come on devourer! This way!"

"Amata!" Custos yelled but Deus grabbed her to keep her from following and shot another fire ball at the birds.

"Go on, I will catch up!" Deus nodded and dragged Custos away while the others seemed unsure.

I pulled out my bow and grabbed the arrow and faced the devourer that stopped at the 'cross road' looking at the others then me.

"This way!!" I screamed at it and armed the arrow and whistled to get its attention, I looked up gulping as the birds also were getting towards here.

I can't let the devourer touch me or I loose my soul but I gotta avoid the birds...

'Are you stupid?! There is so little chance of success and I won't die because of you!!'

'Invisus trust me this once.'

'You idiot!! Are you suicidal?!'

'Invisus please.'

'Don't come crying to me if perish.'

'Didn't intend to just need you too not try to control me like with Aurum.'

'Fine... Show the creature who it's trifling with.'

'That's what I wanted.'

I took a deep breath and ran towards it as it did too.

When it got close it jumped, trying to tackle me like I hoped it would but I dropped down, a slid on my back under it and shot the arrow into its skull from underneath, the front of anyone's skull is solid and I doubt I would have succeeded so I went the route knew might work more since there isn't that much bone there.

It staggered and the birds crashed into it as I smiled and scrambled to my feet as it fell of the bridge with a screech and was swallowed by the darkness.

I had the birds on my tail but just as they would have caught up I reached the exit and just as I left a huge flame torrent filled the cave entrance, the left sleeve of my jacket burnt off by Deus as I fell on my knees panting, finally out of danger.

I let out a surprised gasp as I was pulled into a hug and kissed but relaxed soon enough.

"Don't you worry me like that ever again you stupid idiot!" Custos yelled with tears in her eyes but none falling. "I thought you were going to... T-to..."

"Hey hey ssh it's all okay my love, I am still here no need to worry." I passed my hand on her head as she hugged me and I hugged back, relieved that of us were finally back together, safe and alive.