-2-

Amata's POV:

The road was easy: travel to our hunting spot, follow the river, and get to Lakewood.

Dad only took a dagger with him since he usually would hunt in his wolf form, but he still needed a dagger to defend himself if he didn't have the time to change or needed to skin the animal. It took a few seconds to change, but sometimes even that is not fast enough.

His clothes were magical, but only the one pair of pants he was wearing now, the enchantment varied on us... Though one thing was sure... The mages... They scared me. They were where the 'human' insult came from... They gave up their soul and race for magical powers their race didn't have. Most lost their minds and sanity in the change, just like our town's mage. He was insane to the end of the world and back and still somehow able to live an everyday life of sorts. That's why the town kept him around, fulfilling his wishes as long as he stayed and lent us his magical powers instead of reigning chaos.

The town was quite big, I won't lie, but the news of someone going missing was quickly spread, everyone somehow knowing it was that deranged mage... Oh, and if you call him mage, he'll have your tongue... Literally... If Dad hadn't distracted him, I would have been the next on his list since I was a kid, and kids ask a lot of questions and talk a lot, too... Way too much...

I shook my head to make the memory pass. Only elves, demons, and angels can use magic naturally, and dragons may be in those myths about them even tho no one can get on the same page if they could or couldn't... I don't care. I like the stories with magical dragons.

I sighed. I shouldn't get distracted now since I'm following Dad, tracking a deer by the prints it left on the ground.

I quietly pull out my bow and one arrow and hook it, pulling the bowstring back a little as I follow Dad's command to crouch down to follow him. Pulling the branches of a brush apart, I saw the deer.

Pulling the string back more, aiming silently. I didn't shoot for a while, holding my breath and waiting for the right time. The deer turned its head to the side, and I let go of the string, the arrow passing through the side of its skull and was killed without even having time to feel anything.

"Good job, pup, set your stuff down; we'll remain here for the night and leave at dawn next morning."

I looked up between the tree leaves to see the blue sky was turning dark and orange.

"Very well." I dropped my daggers, quiver, and bow on the ground before putting the bow in the quiver and laying down, using it as a hard pillow. "We were slow today," I muttered, staring at the sky between the leaves when they moved around with the slight wind. "Normally, we get this done before nightfall and halfway done with all of this." I yawned; walking a whole day without food tires me. We took nothing more than our weapons with us, after all. It would slow us down unnecessarily.

"True, but we also left later than usual today, so it delayed everything, and you never know where the animal will be."

"True... Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you leave your people? I mean, you are so strong and fast... You could have had no problems beating people into the dust... You might have even placed high in the hierarchy of wolves you've told me about."

"I had my reasons."

"You always tell me that. Can you answer my question for once? Please, I'm not the little kid I once was. I can understand."

"... I had a family back home, a wife and a son. It's because I was a fighter that misfortune befell them... I lost both of them... That's why I won't ever make that same mistake, now go to sleep, pup."