-25-

Amata's POV:

The road was long and tiring, but at least we had arrived at the small town we wanted. As I got out of the cart, I stared up at the mountains and the road leading through the side for a while before it opened up on the mountain track, leading us closer to the elves. I don't know how long the road but all know the mountains can be dangerous and deadly.

"Either of you guys can still turn back now," I told them. "It's my fate, not yours. From now on, we'll always be in danger, most likely, and who knows, you may never see your home again."

"Nah, I wanna see the end of this journey to believe you were sent here to bring peace to the world."

"And I have no reason to turn back."

"Very well... Let's ask that man standing by the tunnel entrance if it's the right passageway or not."

"What else could we actually do? Dance the folks dance?"

"Fortis, you are simple, pure, straight trash." I know he'd want to slap me after that, but he didn't do anything. We walked up to the guard-looking man.

"Hello, is this the way through the mountain?"

"Yes, but I'd advise you to go the long way."

"We cannot do that."

"I say again, you should. People have been vanishing on the path and, when reappearing, talking none sense about a giant lizard with sharp teeth and dagger-like claws."

"Thanks for the warning, but we must pass by the shortest route."

"But y--" "I'll give you four more gold coins in addition to the normal passing price." He let the money taunt him and pulled away as we went in.

"Strange story he had been talking about."

"You're right, Custos, so let's keep our eyes open just in case." We walked up the stone tunnel's stairs. The place was only illuminated with torches. It was a while before we saw daylight again.

We were already up in the mountains, not too far up or too low, but around in the middle. The path was not too thin, but it wasn't in the best condition either, not maintained, most likely because of the fear that the beast caused in the people. The colder wind was hurting my face already, and the ground had grown cold under my feet even as we climbed the stairs.

"Let's go. Let's do as much of the path as we can the faster we can." I said, and they nodded.

--------------------------------------

In the afternoon soon after we started the travel down the path a really bad storm can upon the mountain with harsh and freezing winds, the rain falling for densely we could barely see five feet in front of us and we were drenched. Lighting sometimes struck not too far from us even.

I was shielding my eyes from the harsh wind and rain as I walked at the front, Custos gripping the top of my quiver and Fortis gripping her bag, we can't afford a mistake like finding us alone if the two others went forth to fast. the rock was slippery enough before the rain with all the dust and small pebbles, it was worst with the rain.

One of the things I feared happened, I felt a yank on my quiver and turned back to grab Custos' arm, the part of the path under her foot gave out, it was up to both me and Fortis to keep her on the path without either of us falling with her, gripping tightly the rock face... Or as much as you could grip a slippery rock wall...