-99-

Amata's pov:

"Do you think this is it?"

"I do not see any other cave entrance with two demons standing guard in front of it."

I was crouching up on a low branch of a tree but still away from view, Fortis almost laying on me as he leaned forth to look at that I was looking at.

'Invisus when a demon shadow jumps in a fight is it the same thing? I mean maybe I could just fade into the shadows but not enter the realm?'

'No, you either enter the realm or don't, not compromise, even for demons.'

'Can I hurt them from the shadow realm?'

'All who cast a shadow have a presence in that realm, if you tear their shadows from them you will tear their soul apart.'

'Too risky to try that right now.'

I pulled out my bow and hooked in two arrows pointing at different directions as I pulled the string back with one eye closed and hold my breath.
It is hard to aim two differently going arrows. I let the arrows fly, one hits the target aka the head of the left demon but the other misses and hit lower, in the chest of the right demon. I curse and pull another arrow out and shoot at his head but his scream already echoed through the place.

"Fuck." I curse.

"Don't worry, it will only be harder."

"Gee thanks Fortis, real positive." I said while hoping out of the tree and gathering my arrows.

"Of course." He chuckles while following me. "Come on let's go."

I let my eyes turn green as my senses heighten while arming another arrow while stepping inside first. soon the irregular cave turns in a decorated and symmetrical tunnel that opens on a stone bridge with other things around as if inside a building.

 soon the irregular cave turns in a decorated and symmetrical tunnel that opens on a stone bridge with other things around as if inside a building

It was really silent, too silent after that scream, even I couldn't hear anything.

"This place is like dead." Fortis whispered, dagger in hand. a part of the bridge broke out under my feet and I stepped away, both of us silently watching at the stone plummeted down in the darkness, never making a sound showing it would have hit something.

"Well there must be someone here since the shadow man came to this place."

"We split up?"

"Yeah I wouldn't want to but what other choice do we have?"

"You go down the left path I take the right one, if either finds the girls?"

"You take them outside before coming the get the other, we come join the other if we end up in a dead end or find no one."

"Good luck asshat."

"You too bastard." Then we heard a chirp coming from the darkness bellow, we looked at each other and it got louder and louder, the noise rising as more and more chirps joined before a huge gush of wind set us to the ground, I accidentally let my arrow fly and embed itself in the stone. Standing up we looked in a frightened awe as the huge mass of chirps flew around, the wind stronger than ever as the black shadow likely crow mass turned left and right and suddenly turned sharply, flying right at us.

"Fuck! Go go go!" I yelled at Fortis while sprinting down the left path seeing him run down the right on, the bird mass hit the wall and like exploded in multiple different birds before two masses formed, each following one of us.

I looked around in panic and spotted rope holding open a gate, I armed an arrow and shot at the rope, one down, two to go.

The second went down and you could see the strain on the third, the threads snapping alone without my help. The rope snapped as expected and I just dropped, sliding under the falling gate, almost but not quite getting crushed, it close with a deafening thud and I heard the bird crash against the door.

"I'll need to find another way out it seems... I hope you got away Fortis." I muttered with a tsk as I looked around the hallways. "Let's start on the right."

Fortis' pov, who saw that coming haha?:

I sprinted down the stone bridge with the flock of demon bird dive bombing after me, splattering themselves against the stone.
I spotted a simple door at the end of the path and pushed myself to reach it. I almost broke the door off its hinges as I caught on it and slammed it close, leaning against it as the birds smooshed their faced in it.

Soon I dared to open it to peak out and got beaked in the eye before slamming the door close and cursing, the birds were all sitting on the bridge wait or holding on to the wall and door.

I looked around and picked up a corpse by the col of its shirt, it wasn't even a corpse more like a skeleton, I ripped a band of the shirt and tied it around my pecked eye, that bitch will surely mock me on how a bird got me... Let's hope she escaped them.

I looked around the hallways and made my way down one at random.