-139-

(it amuses me that this story is ranked 666th in destiny... how appropriate.... nothing else for you to see so just read on)

 nothing else for you to see so just read on)

Deus' pov:

I remained on elvish land for a few days already, not knowing what to do with myself.

Aura's parents had given me a place to stay which I was grateful for.

The usually lively forest was draped with black, all elf wearing modest clothes of the finest black cloth while I didn't have strength to change out of my armor for the first days, the whole kingdom having heard of her passing, the passing of the one and only child of the queen.

It tore at my heart to hear them greet me like family because of who I was to their daughter when she was around.

I wandered the roads while thinking of what to do with myself, what to do with the quest, what to do with anything.

I seen marks of their passing, a living mural made of tree branches intricately woven together commemorating the participation of Custos, Fortis and Amata to some elvish festivity along with a piece of parchment paper with her writing on it and lets not forget what looked like the shell of an egg, green and solid, must be Viridi's.

I had days on end to think about what was to happen, stay and quit the journey or go back and fast the pain I flee, they don't need me anyway, they needed her more then they needed me.

If I stayed here I'd have a place to stay at with no need to worry about anyone dying around me and I'd be close to her still.

The storm inside never settled and I think it never will truly, even in the calmest times the wind will blow and the rain will fall, not a full on cyclone but still forever something.

As the days passed I made up my mind even if my heart was telling me otherwise, at war with my mind as I slowly dawned my armor again, the elves having buffed and repaired it, I'd be surprised if a sneaky enchantment or two weren't set into the mix.

I didn't want to return but I needed to, she gave her life to ensure they will succeed so I must return to protect them, if they were to die she would have died for nothing and I will not let her sacrifice be for nothing.

I will take the torch in looking after the group to keep her promise true, to protect them with her life... It will not be in vain.

Another reason why I decided to leave again was the angels, they would pay for being prideful bastards, it's because of the current king that there was an angel ambush waiting for whoever passed through the forest... It is because of that prideful bastard that she needed to die... I will kill him... I will make him suffer for taking her from me....

"I see that you prepare to leave." I looked up from lacing my boots at the elvish queen.

"I don't wish too but I must, she can't die in vain." I said while standing up, lip pressed into a thin line.

"I knew this day would come, follow me." Elves weren't the ones to express emotions, more stoic faced then the rest of the races but I could tell the pain she was in could equal my own... Even worse, I lost my love, she lost her child.

I followed her down and out of the house and into their tree mansion right to the throne room.

In the middle of it rested a table made of dark wood but had the whole top of it overgrowing with red, pink, purple, yellow and orange flowers and on the small flowers rested a blade.

On the end metal part of the pommel was fitted the ring I had given Aura, it could slide up and down a bit but never fall off or slide onto the grip of the sword.

"Go on, it is yours."

I grabbed it and spun it around in my hand with a sad frown, perfectly balanced and weighed nothing but I knew it was strong and would never dull, such is the beauty of elvish craftsmanship, the perfect sword.

"Aura would have loved to see this, she'd mock me for being so at awe with a blade like this." I said, raising it up and looking down the razor sharp edge of the blade.

"Even in death she'll be with you." I turned to look at the queen.

"I know, I will never let go of the ring she gave me, bringing it to the grave with me when I die."

"No, what I mean is through this sword she'll always be there for you, to help defend those and kill those you deem fit."

"You can't mean..."

"Iron is strengthened when mixed with ashes, usually done with wood or animal bone ash tho."

I tightened my grip on the sword with a chocked back hiccup of surprise, pressing hilt against my chest.

"Y-you can't give me this!" I said, voice already breathy when the tears didn't yet arrive. "Why?"

"Because this was the right thing to do."

I took a deep shaky breath, looking down off to the side and trying to hold in the tears but the sobs couldn't be stopped.

I tried wipe the tears and looking up, trying to look... To look... To look something, anything but broken and hurt.

"The blade is yours and yours alone, as long as magic is coursing through your veins like blood, you can call the blade to you, no matter where you are or where it is it will always come, bound to you for all of eternity."

"I'll strike down the one at the head of this tragedy... I promise... I'll make it my vendetta... They will pay... I promise... On my life." I whispered out, unable to keep my voice from shaking otherwise.

The wise queen bowed her head in acknowledgement of the bloody vengeance I promised.

I pulled my old sword from it's sheath and rested it on the flower covered table, to remain here as a memento like the shell of the dragon eggs or the parchment, a memento of my promise. Sliding the new sword in its place, I'll call the blade Vindicta, meaning Vengeance.

I turned to the queen fully and did a deep bow before walking to the door.

"Deus."

I stopped when I grabbed onto the door handle turned to look at her, her face was downcast before she took a deep breath and looked up in my eyes.

"Let your blade strike be true." She said, tears escaping from her eyes before she faced away from me and left.

"Always." I whispered into the empty room and opened the door, ready for my journey back to where I left it off...

I took a deep breath and stepped outside.