-23-

Amata's POV:

"And you are?"

"I'm Amata. This is Custos, previously queen and royal guard if it helps?" I said to the werecat woman and man, both sitting at the table in front of us... To resume what happened, these were Fortis' parents, and they wanted to know how we knew each other.

"Oh, so you are the one he was always rambling about, the one who took 'his' place as king." From what I heard in his voice, that father didn't believe in his son's dreams too much.

"Darling! He just needs a bit more training, don't throw dirt on his dream."

"I might not come off nicely, but I'll beat him with a stool again if he dares to touch the queen. I trained her to beat me, yes, but even if she outsmarted me, I can't let someone take that from her."

"Tsk, here is what you asked for Mother." Fortis came carrying two big plates of food and beers and set them on the table. "I still can't believe how yo--" "I heard this enough from when you snuck in the manor to yell with me." I cut him off. I was surprised to learn his parents owned this inn, and he sometimes worked here, with his brown hair and eyes and square and strong jaw. I saw him as a lumberjack, but that's a stereotype.

"Anyway, why is the previous queen and her guard in such a place? Rumors fly fast; we thought you were close to the now-ruling queen

"Anyway, why is the previous queen and her guard in such a place? Rumors fly fast; we thought you were close to the now-ruling queen."

"We were just really good friends, ma'am. Sadly, I have a destiny to follow, and right now, I need to head over to the elves since the communication is cut off between the kingdoms, and I don't wish for a war to start between the people." Fortis silently listened with his probably forever narrowed eyes... Or he just likes glaring. Custos also has slightly narrow eyes, but I know that's how she is, not actively glaring 24/7 like he is in my presence.

We started eating, and soon, his parent left to return to work.

"I can't believe she won; there must be a catch."

"There is since she beat me when I held her the same way as the queen did."

"Custos, must you tell him?"

"Sorry."

"You don't sound sorry."

"Exactly."

"So you deliberately lost?!"

"No, you idiot, she outsmarted me even before the start of the fight, and I didn't want her to cut me with a dagger. This bandage on my cheek is annoying after all, so one on my throat would have been much worse."

"Yeah, well, that still sucks... Go on, tell me about this destiny thing. I want a good story."

I sighed and decided to tell him it was actually lovely to have a normal chat over a whole chicken for each of us and a beer... And to be honest, I would much rather tell him everything than have him bugging me because I know he would do that.

"Pfffff, a nice fairy tale." He laughed.

"Believe me or not." I stood up. "It's the truth, don't worry. We'll only stay here for the night and then leave." I walked off as I had finished the food. Custos had been much faster, so she had already excused herself to the room we'd have to share.

"Excuse me, I'd like to pay now for the room and get my key for it," I told Fortis' mother, who was behind the bar.

"Of course, dear, the food is on the house; that's what I can do for the previous queen, and the room is 6 golds, 3 for each." I dug out the money, still surprised they weren't freaking out like most would when learning of the title I wore for almost two months... I'm thinking about it a bit more, and I'll be 18... I never thought I would be in such a situation when that day would come. I took the key and went upstairs, knocking on the door. Who knows? Maybe she's half-naked because that's how she sleeps or shit, and I don't want to barge in the room.

"Yes?"

"It's me."

"Don't you have a key?" She said opening the door.

"I do, but I didn't want to barge in."

"Acceptable answer." She walked away from the door... Shit, I guessed right!!!! She was only in her shorts and holding her T-shirt over her chest to cover herself, not even a bra. (I just learned that bras in medieval times were called breast bags.)

"Hell," I whispered, quickly locking the door and turning away, face red. I'm not used to being in such a situation. The only person I was used to seeing naked was possibly my father when he shifted in his none enchanted pants, and they ripped. I guess I could 'bare' a naked man for a while, even if I looked away... BUT A WOMAN?!?! Oh fuck I'm dead.

I sat down on my bed without facing her and dropped my belt, bag, quiver, and cape on the ground. I sighed, my face still red as I pulled off my bra without taking off my T-shirt and laid down, my back still to her as I pulled the covers over me.

"Good night."

"Good night." But even after the candle was blown out, I couldn't sleep for a while before shaking my head with a sigh, closing my eyes, and sleeping washing over me.