-58-

Amata's pov:

I was silently sitting in the hanging tree house I stayed in and stared down at my hands in silence.

I know what I did, I knew what I saw... I remembered... And yet I couldn't see it in my mind or bring myself to utter a word of that world... Can't explain how this feels like but the dragon was right, this was beyond my understanding of the magic, I'm sure I'm missing out a few things in this explanation but with this magic I don't doubt that it wasn't that doing this.
I knew I saw other words and memories of dragons but those were even further away from my grasp as my other strange memories, I knew that I saw so many lives and yet I couldn't recall a single image while for the rest I still knew how it all looked despite not seeing it, for these world and dragon memories I couldn't even do that.

We had gained consciousness again and found ourselves laying on the root of the tree again, I first noticed the ancient magic when I thought back to the gate, I knew how to get to it and yet the memory was fleeing from me and making me unable to get to it despite knowing where it was... See? Such strange magic.

We had decided to remain silent on what happened as it was impossible for us to remember and yet we all knew what went down. the only clear memories I had that were not messed with the magic were the memories given to me on how I should raise the egg that chose me as its... Mother... The elves had lost their shit at the egg in my arms saying it was a blessing but I can understand it. I really need to go to the library now, elves have an endless life so they were around when dragons were still around instead of hidden so they must have a book or two on them I can read through.

I sighed and stood up, walking to the bed with a small smile, I had rested the green egg in a little nest I made of the blanket and pillows with the fire crystal against it, an egg must be kept warm and close to its parent the hatchling to feel safe inside the egg.

I kneed on the ground and crossed my arms on the bed, laying my head on them and just watched the egg. the egg had chosen me, I couldn't help but look at it as if it was a baby of my kin, something fragile despite what it actually is, something I must protect.

I stood up after a while and took the egg in my arm, hugging it against me and I have no idea what pushed me to sing it what my own father would when I had a hard time going asleep, walking around as I softly sang, tears in my eyes at the memory.

They came for him one winter's night.
Arrested, he was bound.
They said there'd been a robbery,
His dagger had been found.
(there is no pistols in this world so I changed the word out)

They marched him to the station house,
He waited till the dawn.
And as they led him to the dock,
He knew that he'd been wronged.
"You stand accused of robbery,"
He heard the bailiff say.
He knew without an alibi,
Tomorrow's light would mourn his freedom.

Over the hills and far away,
For ten long years he'll count the days.
Over the mountains and blue seas,
A prisoner's life for him there'll be.

He knew that it would cost him dear,
But yet he dare not say.
Where he had been that fateful night,
A secret it must stay.
He had to fight back tears of rage.
His heart beats like a drum.
For with the wife of his best friend,
He spent his final night of freedom.

Over the hills and far away,
He swears he will return one day.
Far from the mountains and the seas,
Back in her arms he swears he'll be.

Over the hills and,
Over the hills and, 
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and, 
Over the hills and far away.

Each night within his prison cell,
He looks out through the bars.
He reads the letters that she wrote.
One day he'll know the taste of freedom.

Over the hills and far away,
She prays he will return one day.
As sure as the rivers reach the seas,
Back in his arms she swears she'll be.

Over the hills and far away,
He swears he will return one day.
Far from the mountains and the seas,
Back in her arms he swears he'll be.

Over the hills and far away,
She prays he will return one day.
As sure as the rivers reach the seas,
Back in his arms is where she'll be.

Over the hills and,
Over the hills and, 
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and,
Over the hills and far away.

I sighed deeply, taking the egg in one arm and wiping away the tears threatening to fall from my eyes. I missed his voice, his face, his everything now what have I left of him other than the memories I made by his side? have three things, three, the bow, the dagger and this song... I thought after months the pain would be easier to bare but it isn't, it's still as heavy as before.

I noticed I was standing on the balcony but only sighed, I didn't care if anyone heard my song right now as I was staring up at the trees sadly... I'd have maybe sung this at the celebration but don't think I am that good plus it must have been a little less personal r me to do so but it doesn't matter anymore anyway.

"Will the weight ever get lighter mother?" I asked in a whisper as wind brushed by, feeling a ghostly cold and smooth yet invisible hand pass over my left cheek before it left as if it was brought away by the wind like a leaf, I raised my free hand and laid where her touch lingered, I smiled softly.

I knew dad was up there with her in the stars looking over me... I just wished he could come to me like she could, I don't care if it was only a single touch or a word, if only I could see his smile one last time... I turned away and walked inside before more tears were brought out of my eyes and laid on the, pulling the nest of the egg against me after I set it down inside it, my arm resting over it and pulling close while closing my eyes with a soft smile.