January 1, 2019

Dear Future Husband,

Happy New Year!

It has been off to a pretty good start if I do say so myself.

Not only did I meet lots of new and exciting people at the party last night, I talked to Grant almost the whole time.

Let me explain everything...

My student council friend Sydney drove me to Zach Walsh's house, one of the top playboys in eleventh grade. He was having a massive party that anyone who had the right connections could go to. I was secretly hoping Grant would be there, and to my delight, he was.

The moment I walked into the party, my stomach turned into an Olympic gymnast. I had never actually been to a real high school party until now. Yes, there had been the occasional ten or eleven person co-ed get together that usually involved swimming, table tennis tournaments, and sometimes spin the bottle, but never had I been to an inter-grade legitimate high school party with the official rap music, hordes of horny teenagers, and solo cups filled with various types of alcohol. I wasn't sure if I could handle it all, until I saw him.

I noticed him laughing with a couple of his guy friends in the kitchen, a coke in hand instead of a beer. I was struggling to decide if I should go over or not. I mean, we barely talked, but on the other hand a nice "Hello." would be fine, but he was with his friends, I shouldn't interrupt, and I was with my friends-

I turned around to find that Sydney already had her lips latched around a senior lacrosse player's mouth, and I was on my own.

After having to weasel around a few drunk guys trying to touch me in sensitive areas, I made my way towards a couple of my field hockey upperclassmen friends talking in the corner with some other girls in my grade and I instantly made a connection with a few of them who I hadn't thought of before, and I could remember seeing an opening at their lunch table.

They were classified as more of the potentially popular girls who were super athletic but laid low, which was fine by me, drama wasn't something I was looking for in a group, especially after my catastrophic relationship with Paisley, Ava, Giselle, and Gabrielle.

Instead of them, I now have Kendra, Alexia, and Meg who seem a lot more chill than my last four friends. They were better than chill actually, they were nice, and that's a hard thing to find in people. I was just hoping they thought the same of me, because having nice people to talk to was a blessing.

New year, new people. What more was there to be done?

After a few songs of awkward swaying as to avoid any unwanted attention from boys, I decided to head to the kitchen to see what they had to drink, and was faced with a tough decision.

To my right was the cooler of soft drinks, including the assorted sodas and lots of water. To the left was the keg of most likely cheap, generic beer and half a dozen bottles of half filled liquor.

The only time I had ever really had alcohol was the occasional glass of champagne on holidays or sip of my mom's margarita on vacation. I hadn't much liked the taste of alcohol, it was always too strong and had too much of a nasty bite to it, but everyone here was drinking and I figured, what could a little bit of beer do?

New year, new opportunities. Don't waste it.

I went to reach for a solo cup when an all too familiar voice made my heart jump.

"Hey, Alina."

I turned around to come face to face with the one and only Grant.

Over the clamorous sound of Kendrick Lamar being blasted over the speakers, I could hear angels singing as he smiled, babies laughing as he ran his hands through his hair, and birds chirping as he took another sip of his soda.