February 7, 2019

Dear Future Best Friend,

Me and Alina had our first tutoring session, and let's just say I'm dumber than I thought.

She gave me a few practice problems just to see where I was at with the material, and I've been doing so much worse than I thought. The first half of the year was easy, then again I wasn't in honors, but Alina had to reteach me everything I had learned.

I don't want to go anymore. It's not bad or anything, and I need the help, but it's so embarrassing. When my friends ask why I can't go to open gym or hang out after school, I have to tell them I'm being tutored. And if they didn't laugh at me enough already, the fact that my tutor is a sophomore is even more hilarious to them.

Alina really is a good tutor though. I learned more in forty five minutes with her than I did in two weeks with Mrs. Bradley. Even when I completely screw up, she is really encouraging and tries to make me feel smarter than I actually am, saying it was a common mistake or it happens. I appreciate the effort, but her and I both know that I suck.

As of right now, I'm still considering whether or not I'm going to show up to our next session on Monday. Mrs. Bradley will probably yell at me, but I can't get extra help. What was the point anyway? I was still going to get sixties and I wasn't going to risk my pride in that. I would just have to suck it up and try to help myself.

I don't need anyone.

-Grant