January 1, 2019

Dear Future Wife,

2019 has treated me well so far.

When my friend Zach invited me to his house for New Year's, I was prepared to call in sick and chill at home alone while my parents were off at their rich people parties pretending to like each other while my sisters went to their friends' houses.

But something told me that starting the year off alone probably wasn't a good thing.

And I was definitely not alone.

Me and Alina talked for a while, and she's a really nice girl, not one of those hoes that gets drunk and screws with guys, which I admired. She definitely thought about it, but I could tell she used her better judgement not to pick up a bottle. The world needed more people like her.

Then, there's Vanessa.

We dated when I was in seventh grade and she was in eighth. The relationship lasted a solid six days when we realized dating wasn't everything we thought it would be, and decided that being friends was probably a better choice.

Back then, she wore training bras, shiny braces and an awkward bob, but now she had some nice D's hanging off her chest with uniform white teeth and hair like spun silk. We kind of stopped talking last year, she was too busy getting asked to various proms while I floated from girl to girl. When she came over to sit next to me I was a bit taken aback, mainly because I had forgotten how pretty she was. Then it struck midnight.

"Happy New Year!" She laughed, the firelight glistening off her perfect teeth. "Did you make a resolution?"

I shook my head. "Nah, I'm more of a live in the moment kind of guy."

"What are you going to do in this moment?" She asked, leaning forward, her lip burrowed into her teeth.

Of course I leaned in and kissed her. How could I not? Disregarding everything, everyone, doing what felt right in the split second in which I had to make a decision; that's what living in the moment is.

That's what living is.

I'm just living day by day. Maybe tomorrow Vanessa will off be kissing other guys. Maybe tomorrow she will be kissing me. It doesn't really matter, because in that moment, I was okay where I was.

And you never know if you won't be ok tomorrow, so start being okay today.

-Grant