January 6, 2019

Dear Future Love,

I wish they would just break up already.

My parents act like them staying together is going to help us or something, like the rings on their fingers are the only things holding our family together. They don't understand that their fighting every night and dad sleeping in the guest room and going out for weekend trips alone hurts us.

I don't know about my sisters, but I would much rather have my parents split up and be happy than be together and angry. It just goes to show how much bullshit marriage is, to be honest. Marriage means nothing essentially. Marriage is like a mask or a wreath or something, it's just something decorative that means nothing.

"We hate each other with a burning passion, but we're married which makes everything okay. As long as everyone knows we are married, it's still okay. It doesn't matter that we have constant affairs and would slit each other's throats if it was legal, we're married, it's okay, and divorce is a long messy and expensive process."

Maybe you should've thought about that before you got married, maybe you would make a mistake with your marriage, dumbasses. Divorce might be messy but it all cleans up at the end when you two finally aren't forced to live in the same house and raise three kids together. What's even messier is showing your ten year old daughter what a good marriage is supposed to look like, screaming and fighting and hate.

Marriage is that thing that's heavy on your heart. Thinking about marriage gives me shivers. One person. One person you are pledging to spend your entire life with, no matter what. It truly is the ball and chain because you're tied to one person and one person only, and the only way to detach yourself from them is thousands of dollars worth of lawyers and settlements and countless sleepless, sad nights until finally, finally you're free.

Love isn't a ball and chain. Love should always be free. The idea that you can love someone, but let them go easily if the need comes is just so refreshing. Who needs the pretty title of marriage to complete everything? The fact that you love each other is all that matters, so why risk marriage if maybe in a couple years after distrust, tension, and a dead kid, it won't last anymore?

Marriage is bullshit.

I won't get married.

But I'll love you just as much.

-Grant