March 23, 2019

Dear My Girl,

Thirty seconds into five fifty nine I pulled into the Troy driveway. As I pulled in, I noticed Alina sitting on the stairs scribbling into a white notebook, obviously waiting for me, writing what, I don't know.

An alarm went off on my phone as I got out of the car and I turned it off as I went up to the door. Perfect timing.

I asked myself the whole way here why I was doing this again. I kept asking myself if Alina was really worth all of this trouble. I almost texted her to tell her I was sick. I almost texted her to tell her I couldn't do it anymore. Then I reminded myself that yeah, I think Alina is worth it, and I reminded myself that I wasn't a fucking pussy who ran at the sign of trouble like April did.

I tried to push the thought of the divorce from my mind. I couldn't worry about that on top of everything I already had to worry about tonight.  It was kind of hard to sit through a dinner with the girl you like and her parents that loved each other with such a broken background behind you, but I could do it.

Worst case scenario, they hate me, I tell them to fuck themselves and kidnap Alina and bring her across the country for a little while until she got sick of me, then let her go back home to start dating some jerkoff her sister hasn't fucked and her parents liked.

Anyway, at six on the dot I rang the doorbell and Alina answered immediately, sticking the notebook in her back pocket. "Hey," She beamed, kissing me on the cheek.

Her parents came to the door to greet me and I was suddenly aware of how nervous I actually was. All of the saliva disappeared from my mouth and had taken the form of sweat on my palms and back of my neck, I started to get a little jumpy too, my foot randomly spasming just to remind myself to breath every so often. Jesus Grant, keep it together.

"Mom, dad, you both obviously know Grant." Alina laughed nervously, putting her hand in mine which instantly calmed me down.

I smiled at them "How are you doing Mr. and Mrs. Troy?" I said, shaking both of their hands. "It's been a while."

"Not nearly long enough." Mr. Troy said back, not looking amused.

I felt like this was one of those tests where you studied a lot but all of the questions were the ones you didn't prepare for, and all of the answers seem like the wrong ones. Jesus Christ I hope this wasn't a test, because I was already failing and I haven't even written my name on the damn thing yet. "Smells good in here." I decided to say, ignoring the backhanded insult from her dad.

"Is dinner ready, mom?" Alina asked.

"On the table." She said, trying to hide her disapproval under a bitter smile. Already off to a bad start. Great.

They had a circular table, something that was supposed to represent inclusiveness and equality, but it looked more like a Russian Roulette at the moment, and the gun was always loaded and aimed right at me. I took my place in the boyfriend seat right next to Mr. Troy in the seat closest to the kitchen, but instead of Clarissa to my left sat Alina-- the daughter in question-- with Mrs. Troy next to her and an empty seat across from me.

I felt hopeful at first, maybe that meant Clarissa wouldn't be joining us tonight, but I knew I was dead in the water the moment I heard heels clicking on the kitchen floor.

"So sorry, I forgot the salad." I heard her say as she approached me from behind. Alina had warned me that she was dressed "provocatively", which was Alina talk (nice words) for she looked like a fucking slut. I made sure to stare straight ahead as she leaned over my shoulder to put the salad bowl on the table, her bare tit rubbing against my shoulder as she did. I scooched my chair away from her and towards Alina.