May 25, 2019

Dear Future Husband,

Grant invited me to meet his parents.

Well not his parents, but his mom's family. Either way, it's kind of a big deal, especially for Grant. He hates letting his family into his life, and his life into his family. For him to be introducing me to them is honestly kind of... special. I don't think any of his other girlfriends have done this and I was honored to be the first.

And extremely nervous.

Grant's parents weren't like mine at all, I had no idea what they were expecting. With my parents it was simple, they had a list of requirements and as long as you met them and made a good impression then you were accepted. Grant's parents though, they hadn't done this before. They most likely had pretty high expectations and I had no idea what they were. I don't like tests I can't study for.

"What do I wear?" I asked him as I stared into my black hole of a closet that seemed to have nothing I could wear.

"Literally whatever," He replied from my bed, not looking up from his phone. "It's really lowkey so you don't need anything fancy."

"I'm meeting your mom, I don't want to show up wearing sweatpants." I said, motioning to his extremely casual attire.

"You probably could and she wouldn't care. I'm serious, Alina, don't be nervous about this." He was being way too relaxed about this and it was driving me insane.

I crossed my arms. "How would you feel if I gave you no warning about the dinner and just told you to 'not be nervous?'"

He looked up from his phone. "Of course I would be nervous, but it's not even that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal?! What if your mom hates me?!"

He shrugged. "So what? It's not like we're going to break up over it or anything."

"I want your mom to like me." I said firmly before turning back to my closet.

With little help from Grant, I decided on leggings and a white blouse, dressing it up a little by curling my hair and putting on some bracelets.

"Damn," Grant said as I came out of the bathroom. "You look hot."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks so much for the help." I muttered.

"Come on," He said, smiling as he pulled me towards him. "You don't need my help. If you were dating Mother Teresa's son, she would marry the two of you the minute she met you. You're just too good."

"Grant, I'm serious," I said, pulling his hands off my butt. "If your mom doesn't like me-"

"I like you." He said, kissing my forehead. "Isn't that all that matters?"

"I wish I could say yes, but that's not true. I need people to like me."

We drove to his mom's house after I got ready, or should I say, I drove us. I've only had my permit for a month and I've gotten pretty good, especially with all of the practice I get. Most of the time Grant forces me to drive to and from school, even if the weather is bad. He has been more of a driving teacher than my parents have been to be honest, and he was a pretty good one. He was calm (most of the time) and knew how to explain things well. I was never too stressed when I was driving with him.

I considered turning the car around and going to Chipotle, but I could never be that bold. Once again, I found myself turning into a really nice neighborhood. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it still felt crazy that Grant was actually kind of loaded.

We pulled into the driveway and I took a deep breath as I inspected myself in the mirror. "Am I wearing too much makeup? I think I am, I should've brought makeup remover." I looked over at him, fluffing my hair. "Do I look ok?"