March 14, 2019

Dear My Girl,

It's really hard to enjoy Alina when your parents hate each other.

We've only been officially dating for like five days or something like that and it's been good-- don't get me wrong-- I see her periodically throughout the day and she always puts a smile on my face. I'm happy when I'm around her, and usually I carry that happiness just thinking about her, but then I go home and all of that is suppressed by the lonely and broken household I'm forced to live in.

Mom moved out and, at first, to call every day, even taking us out to dinner a few nights, but she got caught up in other things, and now we're lucky if we get a good morning text. Dad is barely home because he is too busy dealing with the divorce and work and probably an affair. April spends every second she can at her boyfriend's house, who has a nice and loving family and homemade meals, unlike here where there isn't a family member in sight and ramen has become a staple. I'm pretty sure she's started smoking weed too, because on the rare occasion she is home she spends her time in the garage for hours, and she definitely isn't cleaning it.

As for me and Jules, we are keeping to ourselves and trying to survive this. At eleven years old, she has learned how to wake herself up in the morning and get to the bus stop on time, since her school starts later than mine and dad can't bring her anymore because he is too preoccupied. She has figured out how to make pizza with leftover pasta and english muffins, and is always the one that checks to make sure the doors are locked at night.

Me, I come home, do whatever homework I understand, eat whatever leftovers I find in the fridge, watch Netflix, then go to bed. The only days I really break that routine is when Alina tutors me or I go out with friends, the latter doesn't happen that often. All my friends are too busy with their girlfriends.

I got home from school today to find my dad's car in the driveway, along with another car I didn't recognize.

At first, I thought maybe it was his mistress and he was planning on introducing us, but dad wasn't like that, and he knew us too well. He would warm us up with a nice dinner out so we wouldn't completely torture his girlfriend.

I got inside to find him sitting at the kitchen table with April, Jules, and his attorney.

"Grant," He beamed when I walked in. "I'm glad you're home, have a seat."

His lawyer smiled at me, shaking my hand. "Charles Pratworth, it's nice to meet you, young man." He already sounded like an asshole. Who picks a job that is aimed at taking apart marriages? Only a sadistic douchebag like this guy.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"As you might already know," My dad started, looking down at his hands. "Your mother has filed for full custody of you guys, and so have I."

Great, I knew where this was going.

"What's that mean?" Jules asked, her hands knotting themselves anxiously in her lap.

Dad sighed painfully, like this was a hard thing for him. Poor him, my poor selfish father making his children choose between parents. Jesus Christ, I would've punched him in the jaw right there if my sisters weren't sitting here.

He looked over at his attorney who got the hint. "It means that your dad wants to take care of you without your mom."

I scoffed. "What it means is that they both want us all to themselves just to make the other miserable."

"Grant-" My dad started.

"This is bullshit-"

"Grant cut it out," April started. "What do we have to do?"

His attorney smiled at her. "A week from Friday is the hearing. Testify for your father, he's your main caregiver, we believe she isn't a fit enough parent to take care of you kids. You would be much happier in your father's care-"

I pushed my chair out and stormed out of the room, ignoring the calls to come back. If I stayed in that room even a second longer someone would've lost a tooth. At this point, I was willing to testify that both of them were unfit parents with how immature and spiteful they were being. I couldn't take this. I would leave home before I had to go through that.

But I couldn't do that. I couldn't be selfish and immature and a coward like they were. Jules was here, and she barely knows what any of this means, and so many people will be telling her different things, and eventually she is going to be torn from one parent, and grow up in a dysfunctional house, whether it was mom's or dad's or a foster home. I couldn't leave her to them. I had to help her get through this.

My brother wouldn't have left us, so I couldn't leave her.

-Grant